What's new

Private property Mississippi

Veteranjojo

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 15, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Spidey Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve found this small sampling of stones in Central Mississippi and was hoping for some help in identifying what they were and possible origins. I’ve got many more like this, along with a lot of arrowheads and stones I feel are tools of some kind and carved stones of animal heads.
All of these stones are roughly 4/5 inches in length with the exception of the white quartz “alligator head” which is roughly 10 inches in length. Thanks for any help in advance.
 

Attachments

  • EB9DAE38-0F53-4995-8994-051F143B7AD0.webp
    EB9DAE38-0F53-4995-8994-051F143B7AD0.webp
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • D568FE07-FAB2-419B-9E30-9CD32D512DE6.webp
    D568FE07-FAB2-419B-9E30-9CD32D512DE6.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 76
  • F3E67F9F-7F4D-4F95-AA55-2BAFA1D3BA35.webp
    F3E67F9F-7F4D-4F95-AA55-2BAFA1D3BA35.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 99
  • FE653FDE-1DDC-424A-BB51-011E128666BB.webp
    FE653FDE-1DDC-424A-BB51-011E128666BB.webp
    133.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 90B6FBD6-538E-42A1-8A7D-06A8395F2E4B.webp
    90B6FBD6-538E-42A1-8A7D-06A8395F2E4B.webp
    81.3 KB · Views: 86
  • D460DCFB-B7BA-46EB-ADFB-1279B897E097.webp
    D460DCFB-B7BA-46EB-ADFB-1279B897E097.webp
    174 KB · Views: 72
  • EC7EBA06-7A82-4F97-838F-79C647C7755B.webp
    EC7EBA06-7A82-4F97-838F-79C647C7755B.webp
    106.1 KB · Views: 72
  • F3A3D187-8BD9-424C-81CC-245B7592B549.webp
    F3A3D187-8BD9-424C-81CC-245B7592B549.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 34515E21-1D8D-481C-9A1B-F0A93BEB04B3.webp
    34515E21-1D8D-481C-9A1B-F0A93BEB04B3.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 4D474ACB-9BB0-4EDE-A0B2-3B73BC3844FF.webp
    4D474ACB-9BB0-4EDE-A0B2-3B73BC3844FF.webp
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 4F32BF90-9813-4309-B84A-DF295E1E1E10.webp
    4F32BF90-9813-4309-B84A-DF295E1E1E10.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
these are just rocks, if they were effigies, they would be unmistakably obvious. the fact that you have so many of them is also a sign that they are common weathered rocks in that area.
 
Upvote 0
I’m from central Mississippi, and agree that those are naturally occurring stones. If you want, I’d be happy to connect you with a geologist here in Jackson that is not only an expert in native formations, but is also extremely knowledgeable about Native American artifacts. He’s going to tell you the same thing (but in a much more scientific way), but at least you’ll know it was a professional that told you. Don’t give up looking, artifacts are plentiful in the area, but effigies not so much.
 
Upvote 0
Not dead set on saying they’re effigies. I just don’t think they’re man made. Especially the ones that look as if they’ve had something tied around them. I’ve been told they were used as hammers?
 
Upvote 0
those stones with grooves are actually a very common erosion pattern, not man made at all. you can also be sure of that by noticing there are no ware/use marks on either end, smooth as your granddaddies scalp.
 
Upvote 0
I’ve added a couple more pictures as the examples I provided weren’t very good examples of effigies, just a few I thought might be some sort of artifacts. The last 2 I believe are effigies.
 
Upvote 0
I'm with the 'all look natural' camp.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom