Private yard yeilds nice Finds

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Got the chance to hunt a private yard today. My dad is working on a friends house and told me he was ripping out a 100 yr old bathroom. That instantly sparked my curiosity to know if the place had a yard and if I could detect it.

He called me last night with the go ahead. I got there today and looked at the house. I determined it to be 75 to 100 yrs old. It had a really small front yard and a back yard about 20' by 20'. I started to hit the front yard and figured what the heck. I have found stuff in smaller area's. Almost instantly clad, wheat's and garbage was turning up. The yard had life. When I just about felt the front was good I dug up a 1964 washington. The good part was I didn't even get to the back of the house yet and figured if the front was live the back would be to.

When I got around back it didn't look to promising. The yard had a slight downgrade and wouldn't of have been suitable for picnics or gatherings. There was a alley at the end of the yard with a pair of steps leading up to the back yard from the alley. I started to hunt and was finding clad and wheat's again. It was a good sign. The soil was really bad it was all clay with sandstone mixed in it. But it was natural. I then found washington number 2 a 1946. I then figured if they lost quarters there had to be a few dimes around. It was just a matter of time and I found a 1963 and a 1953 silver dimes.

I just about had the yard hit to were I felt it was about clean. As I was hunting I walked through a section at the bottom of the yard were the alley meets the yard and realized it was to trashy to hunt. Due to that was were the trash had been put for many of years for the garbage men. I decided to slow down I got nothing to lose and see if I can go in between all the trash and hit something. I got a good solid quarter reading on the dfx locked on it and it said 2.5 inches deep. I cut a plug and saw what I thought was a keneddy half because it would have fit the time period of the other coins I was finding.

I bent down picked it up and realized I had a large cent. I was very shocked to turn this coin up here. The area is old but all the homes around date to the turn of the century. I sat back for a minute and just wondered who lost this here. Why is this here and how did it get here when this coin out dates these homes by 100 yrs I would say. I could see finding a coin 30 40 years older than a site but 100 yrs. I continued to hunt for a little bit and had to get home and clean this baby up.

It turned out to be a 1825 large cent. The oldest coin I have dug in my short detecting life. The first large cent I found with the dfx but my second one total in 5 yrs of hunting or so. The moral of this story is that you never know what you might find in a place you least expect it. Never look a area over due to the looks either. Looks can be very deceiving. I have found some really great treasure in places you will never know how it got there. My guess on the large cent is either it was lost in the 20S or 30S. Not likely I wouldn't think. Or there was a older dwelling on the property long before the neighborhood was established. That is very possible due to how old my state and city is. Or it was just simply thrown up onto the banks of these yards when they made the dirt alley into a paved alley. I guess I'll never know. I also found 10 wheat's one was a 1913 D and the rest from the 40S and 50S. It took me only 1.5 hrs to find this all.

All in all it was a really good day of detecting then it turned into a great day when that large cent poped up.Hope you guys like the picks and story. Took me a good bit of time today to write this clean the finds and scan them. You all are a good bunch of people in here so I like to share my finds and experiences with you all.

Good luck to all. Just keep perservering and you shall find what your looking for. HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Private Yard 7.jpg
    Private Yard 7.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
Nice finds. What year is the LC? I have heard that as soon as the smaller pennies started into circulation most people preferred the smaller coins. I think if I had a penny in those days with what it was worth I would have rather had the LC... far harder to lose. HH!

-Bill

Thanks guys, Sorry it took me so long to reply. This one somehow got lost amongst the other stuff I have put up and I missed it. The large cent was dated 1825. Like you said about the smaller coins coming into circulation. I would prefer a large cent also. Hard to lose one. But you better have had a good belt if you wanted to carry 50 large cents around to go and buy something. I guess that's why people like the smaller coins. Lot easier to lose though. But you could carry alot so if you lost one you had some more most likely.

I talked with my dad and he told me I could hit the neighbors house to right next to the one were I found all this stuff. So maybe this week I will get some time to go and investigate it. Looked just like the house I hunted. Same size yard probably built the same year and looks just like it to. It should have some 40S 50S or 60S silver at the least. Along with relics and probably a good bit of wheat's. These are the kind of houses that they like share a yard with the neighbor. There all connected unless a fence is up in someones yard. I'll let you guys know if I get the chance to get back over there and do some hunting.

Good luck Jer

You're my hero, Jeremy. When I grow up I want to be just like you! ;D
Your posts are great. I get so much information from them and am so inspired by your finds. Keep up the great posts.
Haupin

Thanks Haupin, That makes me feal good man. I'm glad my story and finds give you inspiration. That's why I write and post alot of the stuff I find. It's not a thrill as much for me to locate something old any more. Although I still love it. It's great to hear that someone took my advice on something and made a first find for themselves. Or? have read a story of mine that reminded them of a old spot they could check. I leave as much info behind as I can to you guys. Not only am I helping others but just maybe the guy above will keep me safe and keep leading me to treasure out there. Keep treasure hunting and stick with the white's. I wish you alot of luck to man on your searches for treasure. I'll look for your post in the future here.

Take care Jer

Thanks rtde, gotta get some more yards to hunt. There always great places to hunt.

Take care Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back