What's new

Privie Treasure Hunting - Shovel Cheaper Than A MD

Sparky.KCMO

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called and dropped in one a really good middle aged friend of mine who I dont get to see and visit as much as I wish. Over a few Woodchucks, I broke the news to him I spent a chunk of change on a metal detector and when the weather breaks this year I plan to goof off a bit more this year than last. Rhett's comment pretty much was "Been there, done that 25 years ago, you need to be diggin privies." And he continued to tell me how much more treasure there in a privies and old wells as he pulled a tray from a back cabinet in his shop. This is one of the many trays of history and tales he had. From bottles, pocket watches, watch fobs, many many porcelain dolls, toys, flo blue cane tops and more, if it could fall from your pocket it was probably in there. Even early aluminum condom packages! One of the most interesting things in this tray was what Rhett believed to be a Slave anklet, bearing the name Ed Knight. Rhett believes that many of the dolls were from older brothers holding the doll hostage over the hole, just as little sister came to save her, gone for a century. I hope you enjoyed the story and photos. Comments welcome. Rhett is someplace between mechanically inclined and artistic, if not both. Visit his web site at www.rhettjohnson.com
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0272.webp
    IMAG0272.webp
    116.8 KB · Views: 838
  • IMAG0274.webp
    IMAG0274.webp
    127 KB · Views: 855
  • IMAG0275.webp
    IMAG0275.webp
    104.7 KB · Views: 875
Are you sure it isn't some sort of dog collar? Perhaps with the owner's name on it? Regardless, neat finds

HH
-GC
 
Cool privy crap :icon_thumleft:. Gold coins and gold rings and gold watches and gold teeth all find there way into the crapper. Sifting is always prescribed.
 
There is a fella in our home town who has had this hobby for the past 30 years. You would be shocked at what he has found. He has by far out did me with his digging compaired to my metal detecting.

It's just a little to much digging for me. He Say's the average depth it about 6 ft. and him and a friend can do one in about two days. There is a lot of sifting to the job, he says they find everything from, coins to watches to bottles and everything in between. Rick :coffee2:
 
At least here in the east, you will find these on the east side of the house, as the wind generally comes in from the west. Look for a row of indentations in the ground as privy's were dug side by side every four years or so. That's what I've learned about locating them. You can tell by the number of privy holes how long a home was active by multiplying by four.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom