Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure a lot of you out there watch that "Treasures" show on HGTV on Tuesday nights. Last night they did one on digging up old bottles at privy sites. With the help of Sanborn maps (which were fascinating in themselves) they were able to pinpoint exactly where these old outhouses were. Even under asphalt! Some of the bottles they showed were worth tens of thousands of dollars. Unreal!
Anyways, this show was a big help to me, because I realized I haven't dug down near enough in the privy I've been digging. I've only gone down about 3-4 feet, but they were in about 5-6 feet on one, until they hit a white ashy soil (old poo). I know I haven't hit that mark in mine yet. Just thought I'd share that tid-bit of info.
That kind of hunting just fascinates me.
Also, does anyone know where to purchase, or how to make one of those steel "T" shaped probes like they were using?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• Privy.jpg
    Privy.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Privy.jpg
    Privy.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH Bob said:
I knew it, this hobby has gone to the out house.

Bob,
As long as it doesn't turn into sending in poo for DNA testing to find out who used the privy, we should be o.k. ;)
-MM-

A

aaron1whiting1

All of the probes I've seen are home made. Just find a welder and give him a photo or show him one from video, or even buy the metal yourself and just explain to him what you need. Should be pretty cheap really. But they do take some practice to get the feel of them.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaron1whiting1 said:
All of the probes I've seen are home made. Just find a welder and give him a photo or show him one from video, or even buy the metal yourself and just explain to him what you need. Should be pretty cheap really. But they do take some practice to get the feel of them.

Thanks Aaron.
It looked like the ones they were using were a bit flexible. I'm sure if too thick of rod were used, the bottle would be destroyed if hit. It looked like it took some practice too.
-MM-

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FROM BECKY WORLEY

"I couldnโ€™t find a probe to buy on the Internet, so I asked Bill to provide me with building instructions. Youโ€™ll need to weld it all together, so find a friend with a welding rig. Thanks to Bill Anderson for the excellent directions."

Full Directions are here.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/cash-treasures/blogs/bottles.html

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
YOU da' Man!!!
Thanks so much for that link. That is just what I needed. I can get one made now.
-MM-

S

stefen

There are several types of probes that can be purchased commercially.

The first is called 'SOIL PROBE ROD' that is solid steel and comes in various lengths and diameters. Shown below with a wooden handle.

The second is called 'SOIL SAMPLE PROBE' which is a hollows tube slots and a sharp cutting end. Shown below as a chromed tube with steel handle.

Attachments

• 72850-thm.jpg
    72850-thm.jpg
    601 bytes · Views: 382
  • Smart%20Stick.jpg
    Smart%20Stick.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 569
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
There are several types of probes that can be purchased commercially.

The first is called 'SOIL PROBE ROD' that is solid steel and comes in various lengths and diameters. Shown below with a wooden handle.

The second is called 'SOIL SAMPLE PROBE' which is a hollows tube slots and a sharp cutting end. Shown below as a chromed tube with steel handle.

Stefen,
I found that link too.
http://www.tandttools.com/Smart Stick.htm

Thank you,
-MM-

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I am not sure about the probes Modern but I can say one thing...That is a picture perfect site in the photo!'
Best o' luck to ya!
~Nash~

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing I've noticed at this property is, I have not found any water source yet.
No pipes, no old hand pump, no well, etc. I know the house is at least from the early 1900's. I have also found a lot of clothes and artifacts in the house & sheds from the 1950's too, so I was assuming someone had lived there up to that point. I don't see anything inside of the house where a sink or pipes would have been either. There has to be an old well somewhere. There are so streams, ponds, etc. around it. Weird.
When I get my bottle probe, I'll be doing some poking around to see if I can find the old well location. Here's a picture of the old house again.
-MM-

Attachments

• Old house.jpg
    Old house.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Old house.jpg
    Old house.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 191

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread