What's new

Probably just a rock.. but?

sarahj234

Greenie
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably just a neat rock, but it fits really well into my hand, like a tool almost. Interestingly - it fits better in my left hand. See pics. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • PC103731.webp
    PC103731.webp
    110.5 KB · Views: 476
  • PC103732.webp
    PC103732.webp
    133.2 KB · Views: 462
  • PC103733.webp
    PC103733.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 482
  • PC103735.webp
    PC103735.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 470
  • PC103737.webp
    PC103737.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 489
I agree with LikelyGuy... it looks much more like bone than stone. Note the slight "rimmed" wide shallow concavity on its flat-ish end. Stone doesn't do that ...but I've seen similar-looking bones.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for your help! I agree it does look like a bone. But I am 99.99% sure it is a stone (no one can be 100% sure, statistically:) ). I was an anthropology student/ pre-med for awhile. I have seen/held many bones. This is a stone. It fits PERFECTLY in my left hand, like a tool to scrape/rub something? But I looked up stone tools, and I couldn't find anything like it online (should have stayed in school, huh? :) ). I really am not familiar with rocks or stones, and I would not be able to tell what "wear" would look like. Just eyeballing it, the "flat" side looks worn to me. The texture is rougher. I think it is probably just a random cool rock, but wondered if anyone had seen anything like it. Thanks All!
 
Upvote 0
Since you agree it looks like a bone but you're 99%-certain it is stone... remember that it is possible to be both. Namely, a fossilized bone. The wide shallow concavity I mentioned in my previous reply looks like the part of a bone which connects to a joint. If a college in your area has a Geology Department, show it to a Paleologist in that department.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom