txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't know of anyway to get around the leg brace maybe try to hunt side ways keeping the coil away from the leg and use a smaller coil.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Check with Mastereagle22.It seems like they have temporary braces,all plastic or?, that might be used for short periods of time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can turn down the sens and lose a tiny amount of depth and the use of a smaller coil will help as was suggested.

I sometimes have the detector pick up the nails or eyelets in my shoes too.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
kwdstalker said:
any ideas on the brace?

Yes.....switch to a non-metal cane as you mentioned. When you get your new cane, lean forward a little more, which will transfer more weight on the cane, however, you will find that GTI 2500 will now be further away from your brace and shouldn't pick it up. If this maneuver doesn't work, try extending the lower rod, which should again keep the coil further away from your brace. And turning down the sensitivity will definitely help too. And turning it down doesn't necessarily mean loss of depth either. Remember, most coins (including the oldies) are usually in the top 4-6 inches.

Good luck.....glad you are up to the challenge :boxing:

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Switch arms and extend the length of the searchrod.

Very few detectors will pick up most signals very far to the side of the searchcoil. If they will then the shield inside the searchcoil is not in place. I often switch searching from right-handed to left-handed and after having used so many detectors that it nearly makes my head dizzy thinking about it, I have discovered that even a metal 3" swing pole won't be detected past 2 feet of the side of any search coil I've ever had my hands on.

Hope this helps.

EasyMoney

trixline

Aug 14, 2008
azle,tex
Detector(s) used
garrett gti 2500, master cx
Maybe you could get an extension tube for the metal detector so that it would extend out a little further. Just a little would probably help alot..

Good Luck

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
To Stalker,

You can bump the sensitivity down without losing depth. Drop it down to 6 or 6.5 and try it. You may find out you are finding more targets at this setting. Try a wooden cane and detect with the arm opposite the brace and scan as far out in front of you that you can comfortably or off to the side. If you're picking up your brace you have the sensitivity set to high anyway.

There is a long running myth about sensitivity and equating it with depth. It is not a depth control. Turning it up does not drive the signal deeper into the ground as many think. It just makes the coil more sensitive to the targets you hope to find but it also makes it more sensitive to everything else in the ground including mineralization - and in your case your leg brace. I never run mine high unless I'm in a big, open, area that is clean. Mine remains at 6-7 all the time and I've pulled coins at ten inches at that setting. You would be more than surprised at how many targets you are walking over with high sensitivity masking them.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread