problem with Quatro

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Went to an old abandoned farm house today,have a Quatro with the 101/2 inch coil. Used the cross saving Relic-CJ mode and the coin Jewelry modes, also Hi trash density and Low trash dens. Ground is loaded with ferrris trash. Place is used for paint ball shooting. Would get a signal, nothing there. Had one signal in the dirt in my hand, but there was nothing there. Have only had this detector a very short while. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
When I first got my Quattro I expected it to do a lot and was digging every little thing. I got a little frustrated with it the first few times out - sounds a little similar to what your experiencing. Go to a local elementary school and do some clad hunting. These schools are good for not having all the trash and lots of newly dropped change. You can experiment with some of the settings and get more comfortable with the machine. Once you get some experience with the machine then you can try "pushing it" in more extreme conditions. One thing I have found out - the Quattro with the 10.5 DD coil is not a great machine in iorn infested home sites.

Mirage

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Trust that your detector is doing the job. It will find the good stuff within reason. You may have to pull some of that metal junk out then rework the area. It's a metal detector- simply put it finds metal or they would be called coin detectors or gold ring detectors.
Remember it can take time for the detector to discriminate out what it is supposed to " not beep for". Nobody has a special solution to these problems. You get blasted in trashy areas and either give up there or try to sort through it. I had a person say : when I'm at the beach it beeps a lot? I said when you found the gold ring did it beep like normal? They said yes....I said what's the problem then. Ignore the
static and hang in there. The truth is - unless you get a honey hole- detecting is simply hard work. It beeps- you dig- and if you get lucky you find stuff. Our society is so convenience oriented and our kids get lazier. I have a buddy who says pretty soon there will be detectors that are 100 per cent accurate, will have a TV screen that shows you the item. Bury me then. What makes detectoring special is it is hard and its hard to find good stuff....you feel good because of that....I don't run a Quatro yet but have logged hundreds of hours with an Explorer XS....no one set program or tweek has found more stuff than another.
If you keep your expectations low and do it alot you will find some good stuff. I have lots of people who come into my store who use $1000 detectors and they say they've never really found anything great.. I'll walk them over to a good find and ask them how long they think it took me to find something and they'll say a few hours.....I say no about a hundred hours. This hobby isn't for the faint of heart.
And it aint about the treasure chest. Its one small find after another that add up to one beloved one.

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Thanks for the replies. I had a Sovereign years back, didn't have this problem. I'll keep plugging away................

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Quattro for about 6 months. I usually use the coin ring mode and adjust the sensitivity if needed. The only other setting I change is the Trash if the site is trashy. I still don't experiment much. If I am finding things I think why change? My unit did come with a 5" excellerator coil. I have used it in trashy areas and it did seem to help. If I pay attention and listen I can tell if I have two targets as close as 1-2 inches. I still doubt my Quattro as sometimes I don,t appear to find as much as fellow hunters. Most of the time it is me or that I am just not in the right spot?

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Better make this my last post, as you guys will be tired of my whining. I have 5 acres , used to be a hop field years ago. Spent a couple hours on it this evening . LOTS of junk. I'd get a strong signal. like a coin or something, only one beep, then nothing. Happened a lot of times, Tried digging a few times, found nothing. There was also a junk signal too. Tried ALL METAL, coin mode and cross saved w/ cj-relic. Also played with the Sensitivity. In 2 hours found a rusty staple that wouldn't give a signal in disc -10 to +3 , Thanks for putting up with me.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Barber- I feel your pain. Let me help you...we have a site here that dates back to 1756....part of a fort still sits on this land....lots of people have detected it....Total area around the fort is probably 100 acres....most of the finds have come in an area of about 4-5 acres....those other acres 95 + have been swung over to almost no avail....I've probably swung my Explorer for 80 hours over that "no give up the goodies area" ...you can go for hours with not even a signal...(those here-now, gone later beeps happen all the time: nulling, slow discrimination, halo effect)........In the good area of this site I have gotten some really nice stuff.....and some good detectorists have been through there too......and it has nothing to do with my ability....its perserverance......two winters ago I went 5 straight days....on the fifth day I said I would never go back........beep......got an 1803 Large Cent......me and Markg from pa. went back this past winter...Jan -feb and hunted right around that find for two-three days for 4-5 hours a pop...Mark got a wheatie at like 8 inches....I took an area the size of a quarter of a foot ball field and went back and forth through every row of this corn field and covered it thoroughly......nothing...nada...zippo
When you are in trashy areas you will get beeps and in clean areas no beeps......also there is no set area where stuff will be.....go swing in the spot you least expect to find something...its not the detector......
there may be only a few really good objects scattered over the whole area. Corn fields are tough. aloha johny mc

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
Hay Barber i have a quattro i got a book mastering the quattro by Andy Sabisch it is a BIG help don't give up on the quattro i found a coper ring next to a lot of trash! i am in upstate NY and there is a lot of iron ore where i found that coper ring. ;D

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Thanks for all the replies. Each one helped, I bought a Platipus coil, am hoping that will help. Haven't got out for a few days, due to weather, and other things I had to do.

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Barber,

I've had the Quattro for about 5 months now. At first try I thought this thing was going to drive me crazy. Finally came to terms with it. The "coin garden" helps you to identify good solid tones. Plant coins couple feet apart, different depths and different coins, you'll soon recognize the difference between good hits and bad hits. Bad hits can be iron that you pull the coil up from while sweeping, or just a fast sweep over iron will read coin. Also when in coin or ring mode when you hit a faint target if you sweep it over & over the tone will go null. I prefer the all metal cause it recovers quicker from hits & repeats better. Although I haven't been to the beach yet, so don't know bout that, but supposedly that's where this thing does best.I would'nt bother with the pin-pointing in trash areas, it picks it all up!I truly believe this machine is one of the best, but really can't say for sure cause I havn't tried the rest, nor do i expect to ! look on Ebay and see how many used Quattro's for sell and compare.

Good luck,

Smartin

ps, I did read the "Mastering the Quattro" by Andy Sabisch, it's a reassuring thing to read, and has some good info. I always use the "auto sensitivity" in all metal mode!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions