Problems with Garrett Pro Pointer???

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Garrett Carrot pro pointer a few months ago. It has worked great and I love it. I used it Wednesday with no problems. Got it I the field to MD the next day and it won't make any beeping sound anymore. I have changed batteries, cleaned it thoroughly, and cycled.it through various sensitivities numerous times. I have no idea what could be wrong with it. I much prefer the beeping to the other silent, vibration mode. I am obviously going to contact the dealer I purchased it from next week. Does anyone know of any way to fix this problem?

Upvote 0

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you inadvertently cycled through the settings and have it in vibrate mode.

1. Turn on your pointer
2. Press and HOLD the power button until it chimes.
3. After you hear the chime, each press of the button will cycle through the modes.

Modes:

a. One beep = low sensitivity audio only
b. Two beeps, medium sensitivity, audio only
c. Three beeps, high sensitivity, audio only
d. One vibration, low sensitivity, vibrate only
e. Two vibrations, medium sensitivity, vibrate only
f. Three vibrations, high sensitivity, vibrate only.

Edit: Sounds like you did this and it won't cycle out of vibrate?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To much technical stuff for me on the carrot . I just went with the black pointer , just turn on and go . I do not water hunt though . I would call Rusty at garrett customer service . He will help you get back on track faster than a dealer would . I just sent in my pointer , it cost me ten bucks shipping and I was told a ten day turn around . I have two of everything so I am not with out one .

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it's not. Once you see how to cycle through sensitivity settings...you will see how simple it really is. The benefit if the carrot is being able to adjust the sensitivity to high to pinpoint those deep targets that otherwise wouldn't trigger a response when you initially open the plug. The ability to adjust it to low really helps to pinpoint something in the hole when you don't know where you are getting a response from (i.e. side of hole vs. bottom of hole).

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you inadvertently cycled through the settings and have it in vibrate mode.

1. Turn on your pointer
2. Press and HOLD the power button until it chimes.
3. After you hear the chime, each press of the button will cycle through the modes.

Modes:

a. One beep = low sensitivity audio only
b. Two beeps, medium sensitivity, audio only
c. Three beeps, high sensitivity, audio only
d. One vibration, low sensitivity, vibrate only
e. Two vibrations, medium sensitivity, vibrate only
f. Three vibrations, high sensitivity, vibrate only.

Edit: Sounds like you did this and it won't cycle out of vibrate?
Precisely. It is stuck in vibrate despite cycling through.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To much technical stuff for me on the carrot . I just went with the black pointer , just turn on and go . I do not water hunt though . I would call Rusty at garrett customer service . He will help you get back on track faster than a dealer would . I just sent in my pointer , it cost me ten bucks shipping and I was told a ten day turn around . I have two of everything so I am not with out one .
Thanks for the info, Merc. The carrot is an amazing pro pointer. My husband had the standard black one but bought me the Garrett carrot for my bday. He loved it so much we upgraded his. He said its the difference of night and day. And as jadocs says below, it is easy to learn.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, Merc. The carrot is an amazing pro pointer. My husband had the standard black one but bought me the Garrett carrot for my bday. He loved it so much we upgraded his. He said its the difference of night and day. And as jadocs says below, it is easy to learn.

Simple, swap yours out for his.

Let him figure it out...

(unless of course he swapped his out for yours, in which case he has you trying to figure it out)

Sit there at dinner and stare at him with suspicious eyes knowing he may have beat you to the swap out... see how he reacts to those 'accusing eyes'.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just have to return my carrot and my black pinpointer to Garrett to fix. They said the carrot had a pin sized hole in it and the black one was just worn out....after 4 months? Crazy. Now I'm in Alabama on the beach from New Orleans and my AT Pro quit working!! $168 for a night and no MD. I'm pissed to say the least. Not to happy with Garrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I actually love the button press while it's toning to reduce sensitivity. Took me a while to figure out why my pointer was sometimes not detecting far away... then I read the book. LOL If the pinpointer is in a hole and the sound is everywhere, you can tap the button once, and it'll reduce sensitivity, you can then find where the object is much easier. Another tap restores it to full sensitivity.

I cannot be happier with the Garret Pro Pointer AT. Fantastic product. Also air tests almost a full inch farther away on quarters with flat facing... over my black Pro Pointers...

If the pinpointer is in a hole and the sound is everywhere, you can tap the button once, and it'll reduce sensitivity, you can then find where the object is much easier. Another tap restores it to full sensitivity.

That's just about the keenest feature of this pointer, and the reason I never have run mine below the max setting. Far simpler than changing settings, and I want the most depth pre-dig.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned something new. Thank you gentlemen!

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple, swap yours out for his.

Let him figure it out...

(unless of course he swapped his out for yours, in which case he has you trying to figure it out)

Sit there at dinner and stare at him with suspicious eyes knowing he may have beat you to the swap out... see how he reacts to those 'accusing eyes'.

Trust me, it crossed my mind! Haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread