What's new

Problems with Whites

Johnnysan

Full Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
182
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I bought a Whites Classic 5ID in January; admittedly not their top-of-the-line. After about 20 hours of light use, the coil went intermittent on me. After I got it back I used it a couple of hours, then stored it a few months while I learned the intricacies of the ACE250.
Yesterday my afternoon was blown to smithereens because I made the mistake of bringing only the Whites to a park. Of course it seemed to work before I loaded it in my van; at the park it just made sputtering noises and the display jumped around, no matter where the coil was pointed. Batteries are OK (BTW--I'm an electronic tech).
Has anyone else had this kind of bad luck with Whites?
 
It could of been the soil where you was detecting. Take it outside and try it in your yard and see if it still dose it.......Matt
 
mlayers said:
It could of been the soil where you was detecting. Take it outside and try it in your yard and see if it still dose it.......Matt
I agree with Mat. I'v had some detecters act like that in different soils.Take the batteres out , (to discharge the memeory) put them back in and try in a patch of known clean soil. Some detectors can be reset by one of the buttons being held in .
 
is your machine new? if so, it is under warranty.... they will repair for free.... if it isnt under warranty still, you can send it in and have them look at it.. they will give you an estimate before they do the work..... White's is the best company out there for customer service.... also try.. blowing dust out of the battery compartment.... unhook coil.. blow it all out..... that all may help also

Randy
 
If all else fails, remember you can send it back to Whites. In the mean time you should try the detector in other areas to eliminate any electrical interference like cell phone towers, your own cell phone, over head wires and the such. Unplug the coil cable and replug it making sure the pins are not damaged. If you got a good deal on it through Craigslist, you got what you paid for. Good luck with getting it working.
 
I guess I wasn't clear about the malfunction at the park; the display was jumping around and nothing but a sputtering noise was produced, no matter where the coil was (even in the air). It did this even when I was near metal. Yes, I checked the batteries, but even weak batteries wouldn't cause this kind of problem.
My point is, with less than 25 hours on a new machine, it needs to be serviced TWICE! This is not acceptable in my book.
 
If you got this detector from Kellyco, that's who I would send it to. Whites built these detectors for kellyco, hence the unavailable coil selection for this model. I don't know a whole lot about the Classic5 ID, but I do know I'll put my IDX Pro up against any of them. The Classic5 looks alot like the IDXPro, but uses some off-the-wall Freq. on the coil. It could possibly be a bad coil. Hope you get this problem solved. Tim
 
If you purchased the detector new, it is under warranty and would need to go to an authorized White's service center. Kellyco does not do repairs, we just don't have the facilities for it.
If you'd like to PM me a phone number, I can have one of our staff give you a call and talk to you about what the machine is doing, to determine the nature of the problem and if the machine needs servicing.
Let me know if I can help.
Ms. Blaze
 
It could still be electrical interference from something in the area and or under ground. I would try it in another location, if problem is still there send it to Whites, don't let it sit with a problem while your warranty is running.

Good luck and good hunting.......
 
minton7 said:
is your machine new? if so, it is under warranty.... they will repair for free.... if it isnt under warranty still, you can send it in and have them look at it.. they will give you an estimate before they do the work..... White's is the best company out there for customer service.... also try.. blowing dust out of the battery compartment.... unhook coil.. blow it all out..... that all may help also

Randy

Yep, Whites have never, ever, been nothing but great dealing with. Call them, and let them know what's up with the detector. They may have some suggestions, or they might ask you to send it to them.
Carl
 
Is there a sensitivity control on the Classic ID? If so, kick it down some notches.... Look around for power lines, etc. It sounds like some interference. It could even be buried lines.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom