Problems with your Harbor Freight Cen-tech pinpointer? How to fix em.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Problems with your Harbor Freight Cen-tech pinpointer? How to fix 'em.

Got it my friend, Thank you.
Grey

H

Hardscrabble

Re: Problems with your Harbor Freight Cen-tech pinpointer? How to fix 'em.

Awesome jeep!

Targetseeker

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toggle switch or momentary - which is better for the modification. Does anyone have the part # for the switch they used? Was checking out the vibrator motor post - is the resister necessary? First post I saw that mentioned using one. Thanks - Targetseeker

scoremaster

Jan 2, 2013
western md
Detector(s) used
garrett 250 and new this year at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i picked up two of the centecs from hf and so far the one i am using is doing a great job .
and i'm trying to figure out what is going on with all the dirt and such mine came with a nylon pouch that the tip sticks through and covers all but the back corners since the weather has been wet here in western maryland with snow melt and rain i have had to wash the case off each time i've been out but the pointer looks as good as new other than the back corners . but i am still thinking of doing the vib mod to min . and only other thing i have noticed if you try to dig a little with it and get to much pressure on the wand it will set the buzzer off but i haven't had the back off of it yet keeping fingers crossed lol.

thanks and hh,
Scott

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I just modded my centech. I used a tiny vibrator motor from and old cheap cell phone I had laying around. Connected it to the speaker wires. Works great! I also adjusted the pot screw while I was in there, backing it out with the sensitivity switch at about 3/4, until it stopped vibrating. Thanks for the info here!

JCPLTAB

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 W/ treasure talk , Garrett GTP 1350 , GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of these and I found I could fix it pretty good.... BUY A GARRETT PRO POINTER ! You spend a ton of money on a detector then you nickel and dime your pinpointer ! The best investment I have ever made in detecting is my garrett pro , from sand to loam to clay to swamp and salt water this thing works and doesn't complain or die on me ! I don't have to lift my phones to hear it ... it vibrates , I scrape out dirt with it . Just get one it will make you HAPPY... HAPPY.. HAPPY !

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
I set up mine with a toggle and took off the led light. Then wrapped that baby up and works perfect

Attachments

• image-2360968792.jpg
    image-2360968792.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2931128678.jpg
    image-2931128678.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2009677588.jpg
    image-2009677588.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 139

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one a guy had the other day and he had removed the probe from the unit added about three feet of wire (cable) between the box and the probe so the box stayed on his hip and the probe was all that was in the hole.Do not know all he did to it but thought that was a decent idea he had.

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just keep mine in the case that comes with it when I hunt with it. Seems to keep dirt from getting in the switch. Has been working fine for me so far. 👍

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one of these and I found I could fix it pretty good.... BUY A GARRETT PRO POINTER ! You spend a ton of money on a detector then you nickel and dime your pinpointer ! The best investment I have ever made in detecting is my garrett pro , from sand to loam to clay to swamp and salt water this thing works and doesn't complain or die on me ! I don't have to lift my phones to hear it ... it vibrates , I scrape out dirt with it . Just get one it will make you HAPPY... HAPPY.. HAPPY !

When you are brand new to the world of MDing this is the problem- you don't know anything and you start doing research on what equipment to buy- this "looks" like a raw deal.

You can buy this just to get started-

image-2138816823.jpg

Then everyone already in the hobby says you need a pinpointer, and you see this-

image-3557199340.jpg

Then you wow! Really?!?! This thing almost cost as much as a full size detector? WTF??? They could come down on this a little, maybe $99.99?!?

It's really a lot to someone brand new to the hobby. I mean it's just a tool to compliment your main piece of equipment and its almost the same price?!?!

Imagine for a moment you've never owned a stereo, you buy one for $200 then are told you "need CD's" but they cost $150 each. Same thing- it just don't seem right.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea, i know what you mean. this hobby is an investment. I bought guitar hangers so I can hang my metal detectors on the wall. Just practice getting good at pinpointing with ur detector and u wont need a pinpointer. The way I see it is that it's kinda like a pizza. You can have it plain with cheese or u can add some toppings. I like a couple of toppings. But not too much, and then just eat it. U know, when I first started into the hobby, I would spend more time thinking about it rather that getting out there and actually using my detector. Sometimes I read something and then I start thinking again. I don't need to think too much. I just need to get outside and have a good time

Golem

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Cen-Tech. The problem im finding is that it seems too sensitive. It tells me when metal is present however the range is soo great that I have no idea where exactly - just that its in the vicinity of the hole. If I turn the external pot down it doesn't seem to register anything. Turn it up and it starts sounding as soon I approach the hole. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem i have with my cen-tech is if iam out hunting and and it seems the heat and humidity will cause it to beep contiuosly when i press the button.When its cooler it works fine.But since i live in florida.I never got to use it that much.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem i have with my cen-tech is if iam out hunting and and it seems the heat and humidity will cause it to beep contiuosly when i press the button.When its cooler it works fine.But since i live in florida.I never got to use it that much.

The internal potentiometer screw can adjust this somewhat by backing off the sensitivity- I have a the same thing if it gets too hot it buzzes whenever you press the button so it is not useful. Good in the morning but too hot at mid day.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetic Delta 4000 and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drilled a hole in the case, attached a knob to the pot screw so now no matter what I can adjust as needed in the wild.

Golem

Aug 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah thats a pretty cool idea. I've tried fiddling with the pot. However I've now noticed that if I hold it vertically (point up or point down) it sounds off sustained. Put it horizontal and it stops. It's so consistent that I sometimes think I've bought a spirit level! Anyone experienced this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread