What's new

Profit from Dumping??

JasonB

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
750
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Since I'm new, I'm figuring out the art of dumping. I've chosen a bank that doesn't deal in halves and I am a member although there's only a minimum in my account. I was unloading a few rolls this morning and wouldn't you know it, I got the same teller as yesterday (yesterday she called the manager over to verify that it was allowed). Well, my somewhat unhappy teller overpaid me by $30. I pointed out the mistake and returned the difference.

The teller's mood suddenly improved and I think I have secured a good place to dump. At least for now.

Jason
 
Upvote 0
Now Jason, you have broken the first rule of CRHing. From past posts, any faux pas from a teller or finding change in a Coinstar is considered to be gravy. Sort of a tip for what we endure out there. Thank you Jason for starting a new trend in honest searchers. Thanks, JIm
 
Good on you. This world needs more honest people. Just for that small token of honesty the silver Gods will favor you in a big way.

Same thing happened to my brother. He took in 10 rolls of halves. The young teller looked at them like they were foreign. My bro told him they were halves and there was 20 in each roll. The teller started peeling off $20 per roll to give him. My brother, honest man that he is, let him know it had 20 coins, not $20 per roll. He could have walked out with $200 for $100 in halves. Lucky for that teller my parents raised us 3 boys not to be liars, cheats and thieves.

HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
coolpix9 said:
Now Jason, you have broken the first rule of CRHing. From past posts, any faux pas from a teller or finding change in a Coinstar is considered to be gravy. Sort of a tip for what we endure out there. Thank you Jason for starting a new trend in honest searchers. Thanks, JIm

A mistake from a teller is much different than finding an extra coin or two in a Coinstar machine. A teller's mistake will cause the teller to be off for the day. The extra coinage in the coinstar machine is just that extra. Typically left behind by the last person who used it. Because it is loose, it is not considered counted by the bank and therefore the only person affected by you picking that change is the person who left it behind in the first place whether intentionally or unintentionally. Basically the same as finding change on the sidewalk.

I have had tellers make mistakes both ways through my numerous bank encounters while CRHing. I have been overpaid and underpaid. As far as I know everytime this has happened to me the situation has been remedied whether on the spot or having to come back in later to correct it. Pointing out the teller's mistake and correcting it right then and there is the proper thing to do.
 
Agreed, they are two different things. Finding a dime in a penny roll and netting 9 cents doesn't effect the teller, they had that penny roll accounted for 50 cents and that's what you gave them. Now intentionally not correcting a teller when you know there was an error is different. I'd like to think most people into CRHing would be that honest since banks do help us all out so much with our hobby.
 
I stopped by the bank Tuesday and as I was waiting in line I could see one teller frantically counting her till and get on the phone to the vault to check their count for her day. She was $98 short for the day- likely whoever she "overpaid" caught the mistake but didn't tell. The amount that we go to banks raises the odds of us being the recipients of said mistakes. HH all, Mark
 
Hey Jason, that was cool of u to correct the mistake , so the teller didnt have to make up the difference... some karma might just roll back around to ya and bless u with some monster boxes :thumbsup: plus dumping is the hard part , hopefully u kept open a spot to unload at ....
 
Thanks on the good karma; I'll take it!

Seriously though, I think I was trying to make the point that I had secured a ally in what was otherwise a potentially hostile teller by doing the right thing.

Hey, I'm looking for silver anyway. What she gave me was green ;D !

Thanks guys, this is a fun group. Oh, update: hit my pick up bank today - bone dry. Nuts! I'll have to cash my karma in tomorrow.
 
I agree with these other posts. A few weeks ago a teller let me underpay for hand rolled coin by $240. I didn't notice until I got home. I called her the next day and told her since she didn't have my name or number. She told me she was off by $200 that day and debited my account $240. She didn't even say thanks. That bummed me out a bit, but in my experience being honest is the way to go. You did the right thing Jason. Now she knows you are trustworthy.

The good kharma will surely come around.

If you're returning rolled coin I highly recommend only returning full boxes. It uses up the boxes, lessens the chance of errors, and if your lucky is extremely fast when teller trusts you and just counts the boxes.

Brian
 
I have gotten in good with quite a few tellers by correcting small mistakes. I almost got $500 for a box of dimes that was brand new, but made the correction, just the other day a teller tried to give me one dollar extra back and i said no the one in my hand is the one I picked up. It happens a lot.

I do like it when there are coins stuck in the coin machine when dumping. say you dump $930 in halves and the tally ends up being $933.68 halves knock lose a lot of things. In those cases, no harm no foul. Kind of like when you get rejects from the coin counter, they are unclaimed/lost in essence.

Also, depending on the bank the count has a lot to do with raises, and performance and the tellers job security. One teller was telling me (the dollar guy last week) when i asked him he said that every 6 months they get a review. he said his were always up or down less than $10 and that was where they wanted it. Counts will always be off a little, But the smaller the difference the better. While tellers dont have to "pay" to make up the difference, if they are off by the end of the day a little bit many tellers pay them selves personally in order to keep the books good.
 
I once bought a bunch of hand rolls in a smaller town 20 minutes from my home, around $250 total. I didn't even notice till I got home and started going through my find that she accidentally sold me a roll of Susan B's. A $15 swing in my favor. Well I went back the next day explained what happend and tried to pay her $15.... She wouldn't accept it.

On another occasion (different small town) I bought 3 envelopes that were said to contain $20 dollars ea. After I left and headed down the road I started to go through them and found one to be short $10 I returned and told her what happend. and she handed me $10.

Karma is good.

CRH "MOJO"
 
GOOD JOB JASON. trust me its the way to go. I got crucifid on this forum just last month for explaining how i didnt tell the teller of her screw up. The way i see it is alittle different then most. however that doesnt make me liar, scumbag, or dishonest as some would say. i feel that if Mr. joe at the local mom and pop store screws up and hands you an extra twenty its only right to say something. However, i have no simpathy or a bleeding heart like some, for a bank that is only out for one thing ( making money). I hear all the time storys of hard working people being booted out b/c of morgages and interest rates going through the roof b/c of these banks that everyone is so quick to have a bleeding heart for. As far as the tellers go, if you where to cost your place of business money, or just not do your job, do you have someone looking out for you no. If i dont do my job the way it needs to be done, then i get fired, why should anyone be any different. I myself got an overdraft fee of 31.00 like 6 months ago b/c of the banks screw up. they charged me an atm foriegn atm fee when it wasnt. low and behold when a check cleared that night for 28.00 there was only 27.50 in the account. I got wacked for 31 bucks b/c my account was 50 cents short. And trust me they were not in any way shape form or size about to give me back my 31.00 no mater what i said. Just my opinion on things.
 
I don't believe anyone here is defending the big old banks. I agree their fees are ridiculous and short of criminal but we are talking about people here don't become a scumbag if you have been taken by a scumbag. If a bank robs you it's business if you rob a bank it' hello slammer.

For me it's all about good Karma. All good deed's are rewarded. Don't make me get all religious on you...LOL. do yourself a favor and be nice. Rise above it.

CRH Mojo
 
ugotit22 said:
However, i have no simpathy or a bleeding heart like some, for a bank that is only out for one thing ( making money). I hear all the time storys of hard working people being booted out b/c of morgages and interest rates going through the roof b/c of these banks that everyone is so quick to have a bleeding heart for.

I could care less about the bank, but the teller is a person who made an honest mistake. It happens. Also at a bank (or at least at the banks I go to) almost everything happens on camera. If they want to look where the extra cash went they can find out. I had them check once on a mistake since neither the teller or myself was 100% sure if I was undercharged by $25, but we both suspected it. They looked at the tape and verified that I had indeed been undercharged. They said it was my choice, but I paid the $25 back.

ugotit22 said:
I myself got an overdraft fee of 31.00 like 6 months ago b/c of the banks screw up. they charged me an atm foriegn atm fee when it wasnt. low and behold when a check cleared that night for 28.00 there was only 27.50 in the account. I got wacked for 31 bucks b/c my account was 50 cents short. And trust me they were not in any way shape form or size about to give me back my 31.00 no mater what i said. Just my opinion on things.

I have a few things like that and unless I am at fault for the extra charge I have never had any problem with a bank not refunding them. Although I did have one banker upset at me years ago when I went to get my 25 cents back when they cashed a check for the wrong amount. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal, but apparently there was a bit of paperwork to be filled out to get my whole quarter back. ;D LOL. Needless to say I don't have a checking account there anymore. They are the one bank I found the most difficult to deal with regarding fees as they tend to feed on people with little money in their accounts. Still got my issues resolved, just took more persuading.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom