Projectile Point - One of my best finds, but is it really 10,000 years old? #2

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this nice projectile point near an old earthen water tank on my grandparents property in Southeastern Arizona, years ago. According to this Arizona projectile point identification guide found here http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Meserve.html, this is a "Meserve" type point dating back to 9,500 to 8,000 BC! Are there any projectile point experts here on T-net than can confirm this for me? (Note that this originally appeared in the "What is it" forum thing)
DSC02437.jpg DSC02438.jpg

Point is a very dark gray or light black, Not sure on the type of rock it is, Ive never been very good at remembering their names.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Three things:

First, it's a very nice relic, and congrats on finding it.

Second, the fact that it came from your grandparents land is cool, I hope it stays in your family and that someday your great-great-great grandson has it, and he ponders the history he is holding. (Or grand daughter.)

Third, I agree with Steve. The type and length of the flaking, the outline, the base, the way the base was formed, all point towards a later triangle vs a "Meserve". That should take away from the importance of the piece.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats good to hear your thoughts as well. I am generally a skeptic myself. When I find things and then date them, they are usually a little more recent than I think at first. And I will not lie, there is a bit of wishful thinking involved, when I think of this old point. Either way, it still a pretty cool find and I hope to be able to pass it down one day. I have other stuff my grandparents found back in the day. They were really into bottle digging and stuff like that, and their home is like a museum.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have found some really incredible stuff. Are those points coming out of fields or something? I hear a lot of people back east find arrowheads and stuff in their local fields, after theyve been plowed. I do not live in farm country, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully a few more people will respond and share their opinions. If this is truly a triangle point, and not meserve or something else, I should be able to put a better date on it, or at least find out who the likely maker is. If its just a few hundred years old, its probably Hohokam or O'odham, but the Apaches also invaded through this area for 300 years or longer.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intend to keep this thread open for a while longer so people can share their opinions. I just want to hear from as many people as possible to hear what they say, and hopefully it can be properly identified, because I am no expert. I have nobody to take it to for proper ID, either. I would like to put in in a nicer display case along with some history on who made it, but for that a better ID is needed. So thanks everyone and keep sharing, and if you have photos of points like this please let upload a photo. And if anybody can remember what kind of rock this thing is made out of, let me know. Its definitely that common black stuff we see all over the Tucson area, I just have a bad memory for that sort of thing.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I intend to keep this thread open for a while longer so people can share their opinions. I just want to hear from as many people as possible to hear what they say, and hopefully it can be properly identified, because I am no expert. I have nobody to take it to for proper ID, either. I would like to put in in a nicer display case along with some history on who made it, but for that a better ID is needed. So thanks everyone and keep sharing, and if you have photos of points like this please let upload a photo. And if anybody can remember what kind of rock this thing is made out of, let me know. Its definitely that common black stuff we see all over the Tucson area, I just have a bad memory for that sort of thing.

well that certainly is a great point.

If I were you I would hang my hat on the opinions you have heard already. You have heard from two of the best, and now you will hear it again.

Nice Triangle!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread