What's new

Proofs

tony48

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I'm getting into coin roll hunting and I have a question. How do you know when you find proofs. I know they are uncirculated coins that have been struck multiple times by the dies to create a sharper image. How can you tell them from other coins? Just that they are shinier and have a sharper image? thanks to all who answer.
 
Upvote 0
First, the proofs you will find in rolls or bags will be circulated.

Looking at them from the edge, the rims are wider and the reeds are deeper. It will have a mirrored finish with the details of the coin being frosted. Plus it will have an 'S' mintmark.

Once you find one....you will know it is a proof.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I went back into my pcitures and found a picture of one I found.....pictures are so much better....ha! Here is a proof.....note the mirror finish and the frosted head or details on the obverse.
 

Attachments

  • PC160021.webp
    PC160021.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 287
Ditto what LJ says plus if you are lucky it might be a silver proof.
 
If it has an "S" mintmark is it automatically a proof?
 
tony48 said:
If it has an "S" mintmark is it automatically a proof?

Tony,

For Kennedy Halves yes except for one coin a 1976-S that was struck as a business strike. However they did make a 76-S in proof too.

65GT350
 
But if you find it in a box of circulated coins, it's a circulated proof. And if it has been marred or scrached it's lost most if not all it's value. At which point you may have to wait 100 years before it has any signifgant value for rarity. Unless it's silver of course.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom