Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That PLSS Second Division is great. Instead of trying to measure out the sub-divisions, I can just pick that layer. Very helpful and more accurate.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
That PLSS Second Division is great. Instead of trying to measure out the sub-divisions, I can just pick that layer. Very helpful and more accurate.
I would like to 2nd that --- My measurements have never been that good --- cut twice measure once.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Clams Maps updated to February 1, 2016

The Land Matters Mining Claims Maps have been updated to February 1st.

We've made some changes to the way the mining claims display. Let us know what you think. :thumbsup:

Lots more changes and additions coming up.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered why placer wasn't blue:tongue3: thanks for the labels

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be phased in gradually over the next several weeks. All of the maps have the new Meridian, Township, Ranges and Section Survey (first division). Some of the maps already have a working and queryable new second division survey. On those maps you will see a new layer called "PLSS Second Division". With this layer turned on and zoomed in you will see all of the sub section lots, aliquots, unsurveyed protracted, unsurveyed unprotracted and lots of miscellaneous things like aliquot remainders etc.

So are they changing the Meridian/Baseline locations with the new system Clay? I know that Arizona has been on the Gila/Salt river Meridian forever. I'm going to have to give a heads up on this to the rest of the MPA since we're planning on giving some map reading classes in the near future. I don't want to give outdated info in the classes and have people getting even more confused than some of them already are on mapping.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing is changing on the ground Jeff. This is not a resurvey on the ground. This new CadNSDI PLSS is an effort to get more accurate representations of where the actual survey pins are located.

The old Topos and PLSS are often dozens to hundreds of feet off in their depiction of where the survey pins are. The fact that the new PLSS often doesn't line up with your Topo, Google Earth or geocommunicator just shows how inaccurate the previous mapping was. You can see this in many areas on Land Matters Maps by turning on the Topo map with the new PLSS layer over the top. The topo section lines are often not in alignment with the new PLSS. This shows the locational errors in the topo map.

Here's an example map from the Sierra in California.

This new PLSS just better reflects the actual positions on the ground. Nothing has been physically moved. It should now be easier to find a physical survey pin or accurately define the boundary of a section or township.

This new system is still being updated regularly as new location information is available, This month these States got some updated mapping:
  • Alabama
  • Illinois
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • North Dakota
  • Nevada
  • Oregon
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
Next month it may be areas in other states. We make these updates as they are available so everything gets more accurate with each update.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhh ok. So once this is all done I guess that they're going to have to redo all the maps to reflect these changes. Well there's another week of my life spent getting the updated maps once they're ready! :BangHead:

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was curious. Is there a way to use Land Matters to look up a claim when you know the claim number? Not gonna buy one, but I saw an auction on ebay for one from a guy with no feedback. Was just nosey enough to want to see if he really owns the claim.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't do it directly by Claim numbers on Land Matters (yet) without having to do an end around. If you know the township and range for the claim you can find it that way. Look up the township and range on the mining maps and then activate the information tool and click on the section(s) where the claim is located. When the information window opens up look for the claim number in the listed claims. THEN you can click on the claim to get to the BLM page for that claim. The information you're looking for will be there.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahhhh ok. So once this is all done I guess that they're going to have to redo all the maps to reflect these changes. Well there's another week of my life spent getting the updated maps once they're ready! :BangHead:

I doubt they will be updating the maps with CadNSDI anytime soon Jeff. The government keeps funding this CadNSDI because it's a state level project and they don't have an alternative system. Getting it all to work is another story. The data is scattered, several States didn't follow basic instructions and the GIS files are a major mess. They are stuck because they abandoned the old PLSS back in 2009 and they can't seem to get this one fixed.

We literally spent years cleaning up the mistakes in this system. We can make a decision to change database column headings to match state to state in a matter of an hour or two. It might take another week to get the work done. That's just one example of the work that needs to be done.

The government has to have two years of meetings with all concerned and then put it into standards approval (FGDC) for another year or five. GIS standards only get updated every decade or so. The last update was 2009. This is one major Cluster - F.

After that the gov have to figure out how the undergrads at Wasssamater U. screwed on the GIS work so crooked you can't display a usable map and fix that - after more meetings so toes don't get stepped on. Lot's of sensitive feelings in the academic world you know. :BangHead:

We step on toes all day long. It's kinda our job to just get er done. Being a non profit educational organization they don't have much choice but to cooperate. That's why we, and now you, are the only people with a free, accurate working PLSS mapping system. We made the fixes to the system so it can be updated as new data trickles in from the state programs so it will always be the most current.

Some topos may already have some of the CadNSDI data. I couldn't find any and it doesn't seem to be part of the program but that doesn't mean there aren't a few out there. As you can see from that link the "Standards" aren't set in stone (see the "draft" warning). You have to check the metadata file that belongs to each individual topo map to know how they made the map. The US Topos (new topos) are on a three month update schedule so chasing the latest version of more than a few of them can be frustrating. Not all topos get changed every 3 months but some do.

I hope that helps. This stuff is pretty muddied up in the world of gov agencies, that's why Land Matters just cuts through the nonsense and gets it done. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was curious. Is there a way to use Land Matters to look up a claim when you know the claim number? Not gonna buy one, but I saw an auction on ebay for one from a guy with no feedback. Was just nosey enough to want to see if he really owns the claim.

Sure you can look up individual claim numbers, claim names or claim owners right from the map. :thumbsup:

I'll walk you through it:
  1. Click on the Binocular tool symbol while on the Mining Claims Map.
  2. A window titled "Query Editor" will pop up. In the first dropdown box select the Placer (or Lode) claims "Layer Name"
  3. In the next box "Name" select "Claim Case Number".
  4. In the "Type" box below that select "Text".
  5. In the "Comparison" box below that select "Contains".
  6. In the "Value" input put the claim number. Put it in in capital letters with no spaces like "CAMC312018" click the "add" button.
  7. In the box below you will now see the query in boolean form. It will look like this: [Claim Case Number] ILIKE '%CAMC312018%'. Click the "Apply" button below that box and you will get the claim (if it exists) in a new information window.
From that window information you can see most of the details of the claim, including the names of the claimants. You will have a link to the current BLM serial register page for the claim. The little magnifying glass on the left of the information window will zoom to the claim area on the map when you click on it.

If you want to look up another claim number you can just replace the [Claim Case Number] ILIKE '%CAMC312018%' claim number in that bottom box and click the "Apply" button and you will get new results for that claim number.

These advanced searches work on any data layer. You can search by other claim details or search and zoom to a place on the "Cities" or "Roads" layers. The possibilities are virtually endless once you learn to use the tool. There are a lot more possibilities when you combine searches with the "Operator" tools.

The mapping databases are really big. You can access virtually the entire set of databases, and all the information in them, from this one tool.

Keep working with the advanced search tool and you will find you can create some really useful search functions. Copy the commands you create from the "Generated Query" window and modify them to get new results. This is a really powerful and advanced search tool that can take you to the next level if you are willing to put in the time to learn it. I use it daily and have come to rely on it for quick precise answers to a lot of different questions.

You can get instruction in the basic use of the advanced search functions by clicking on the green "HELP" button at the top right of the mapping window.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I looked up that claim for you with the method above and I see the claim was located on the 27th of January (Last week) and the locator is Mayo Hudec.

Using the same method but looking for HUDEC as claimant I see that Mayo has located 4 claims in that area since last September.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
$3,000 for 5.33 acres that he can't work due to a back injury yet it was only claimed last week? Is it just me or is anyone else smelling week old fish here? Only other thing I can say seeing as that it's E-Bay would be.....

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! DANGER!!! DANGER!!!!

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Free local pickup! What a bargain.;)

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Heck I just remembered we made a youtube video on how to do this!

Check out the Land Matters youtube channel. It's the first video.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm amazed at how much I still don't know about the Land Matters site! Of course being Irish, I usually do things the hard way. I'm going to have to learn how to do the search thing with the binos button.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mapping Added!

The Land Matters Claims Advantage Member Reports have been a big hit. We just updated the reports to create and zoom to a map of each claim area on the report. That's more than 4,000 maps on each report on average twice a month.

You can now download a free Sample Report that covers a sampling of closed claims during the 2014 - 2015 mining year. There are a few gems to be found in that sample report and the price is right so why not give it a try?

You can download a zipped copy of the Free Sample Report HERE. (Direct Download)

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread