Public places to hunt in Central Virginia?

VaYank5150

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2024
Back in the mid to late 90's, I was a huge relic hunter and was at it pretty much every weekend. Over time, I ran out of private property to hunt on, so I gave it up. Since that time, I have had a daughter who is now 15 and she has shown a genuine interest in metal detecting based solely on the relics that I have shown her. I completely understand that asking "where to hunt" in basically sacrilegious in our community, but was just wondering if anyone out there knows of public places where metal detecting is allowed? Thank you in advance.

MisterHelix

Feb 23, 2024
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex Ultra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in central Virginia and am under the impression that it’s private property + permissions or maybe a permit from your county for the river.

I think all city, county, state, and federal land is a no-go, but you’re welcome to ask your local county park.

Mine might let me muck about at the artificial beach in the off season.

I’m just hunting my farm until I get the courage to ask a neighbor.

OP
OP
VaYank5150

VaYank5150

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2024
I am in central Virginia and am under the impression that it’s private property + permissions or maybe a permit from your county for the river.

I think all city, county, state, and federal land is a no-go, but you’re welcome to ask your local county park.

Mine might let me muck about at the artificial beach in the off season.

I’m just hunting my farm until I get the courage to ask a neighbor.
Thank you much. Back in the day, I do recall hunting a local park in Colonial Heights where there were no signs, no markers, etc. However at my age, and with my daughter in tow, even this is not something I am willing to risk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread