Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of electric motor powers your drywasher? want to make my manual to be able to run on an electric motor. I have looked at wiper motors, but they seem to top out at 50 rpm, I want to get 60 to 140 rpm and wiper motors just won't go that fast. besides I could keep the hand crank for back up by just using a motor with the proper size pulleys.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been able to find out just what motor is used in wheel chairs / power chairs. After I find that info I will be able to find one.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If a wiper motor tops out at 50rpm use a 2to1 ratio and you would get 100rpm.
I think on the one was going to build it was going to use a 3 inch and 12 inch pulley.
Which is not 2-1,but what i wanted because it could be hand operated and still be fast enough.
On the electric motor, use a light dimmer switch to control speed.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some thought, alright a lot of thought, I am looking at my old 12v drill and saw that were set aside several years ago and replaced with bigger and badder units. So.... I think I will pull them apart and see if I can't give a second life to the motors to power the drywasher. I am sure a lot of people have these old tools taking up space in their shop.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use this very simple pulley RPM calculator to figure your RPM's. The small pulley would typically be the motor driven pulley. You would need to know the RPM's of the motor to enter the RPM's. Then enter the sizes of the pulleys and hit calculate. You will see the final drive RPM's of the big pulley.

To control your DC motor further with a variable RPM speed controller you need a Pulse Width Modulation Controller of which can be found on eBay. You will need to purchase a controller that has a higher Amp rating than the motor AMP rating and the voltage be variable between 6 volt to 12 volt DC voltage of. Would be a good idea to mount the controller in a plastic box that you can pick up on eBay as well. The box will need to be vented to dissipate the heat generated from the heatsinks on the PWM.

PWM.jpg

PULLEY RPM CALCULATOR

PULSE WIDTH MODULATION CONTROLLER

PLASTIC SEALED BOX

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some thought, alright a lot of thought, I am looking at my old 12v drill and saw that were set aside several years ago and replaced with bigger and badder units. So.... I think I will pull them apart and see if I can't give a second life to the motors to power the drywasher. I am sure a lot of people have these old tools taking up space in their shop.
Thrift stores. I can't tell you the number of battery powered drills I've seen.

DC speed controllers

Shop dc motor controller online - Buy dc motor controller for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thrift stores. I can't tell you the number of battery powered drills I've seen.

An old DC drill motor will not handle his needs or loads. The motor is to small. The reason it works for a drill is due to its gear reduction system thats not contained in its own housing, but uses the drill case for a housing. A better choice is an old dc windshield wiper motor from a vehicle that's cheap to purchase from a junk yard.

what type of electric motor powers your drywasher? want to make my manual to be able to run on an electric motor. I have looked at wiper motors, but they seem to top out at 50 rpm, I want to get 60 to 140 rpm and wiper motors just won't go that fast. besides I could keep the hand crank for back up by just using a motor with the proper size pulleys.

Whatever motor you use needs to be a sealed motor due to the environment of which your asking the motor to survive in. Dust and dirt is your worst enemy. A windshield wiper motor is perfect provided you remove the gear reduction and use a PWM to control the speed.

A better choice would be this motor. I just bought one just like it due to the shaft length and diameter. 12vDC Sealed Motor.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The battery powered drill isn't going to work. The motor AzViper posted looks like a good match.

Look into the OEM Bosch wiper motor used on 2003-2007 Mercedes G500.

Sealed, lots of torque and designed to run for days at a time under load without overheating. Comes with a nice mounting shroud making assembly and takedown much easier. It's really tough and will last longer than any other out there. Battery will last longer too.

Watch out for substitute motor/gearsets from earlier models. They fit but are not as well made.

New under $200. Used from a junkyard probably under $30.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got my 12VDC motor today. First impression, the motor is built like a tank. Its a sealed motor and the quality is superior. It weighs in at 5.1 pounds and has a 3/8" shaft. Will run on 12 or 24 VDC. This unit looks like its new due to the leads. There is a setscrew mark on the shaft as though a pulley was installed but the the four mounting holes do not have a mark on them, meaning it was never mounted to a bracket or had any bolts tighten down on the aluminum frame. I went outside to my truck as I had to see if the motor had any guts. Wearing a welders glove I hooked the leads to the battery, the motor started. Next I grabbed the shaft while holding the motor in my other hand. I for the life of me good not stop the shaft from rotating. This little motor has some guts. Having no clue what the motor was intended to be used on it does remind me of a motor on a CNC machine or used as a drive motor on a wheel chair but this is just speculation. I am impressed though. Will make use of the motor using a PWM. To add additional torque to the motor if needed would be to use RPM reductions using a series of pulleys as I did on my trommel.

Motor.png Motor1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should posted back a while ago here is a photo and clip of the drywasher
0930151309.jpg 0930151309a.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
12v Dc motor....

I use these on lots of my prospecting gear.You can buy them on Ebay. 200 RPM....can be controlled with PWM speed controller
gear motor (1280x960).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread