Pump Question.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a seaflo 3700 gph bilge pump for 40.00 brand new on eBay recently, and need to figure out what I can use besides anything gas powered to run it. I'm not to knowledgeable with electrical work, so my question is, can I get a good 4-5 hours or more out of a battery to keep this thing going? The pump is 12 volt, 15.5 amps, and will be used for a highbanker conversion kit that I'm building for my 36" Bazooka prospector. Thanks, Jay.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People buy and carry in these mini highbankers to save on carrying in gas motors because they are too heavy or whatever. But a good battery weighs more then a WX15 gas pump by far and then a few hours later they need to be recharged.... I just don't get it... Stick with gas motors, they are a lot lighter and not restricted to time of use other than gas... My Honda 200I generator weighs less than a battery and I can carry it and a can of gas that will last me a few days or more at one time.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Reed, I would rather use a small generator any day, but due to certain rules in Pennsylvania, I am pretty sure it's not a possibility. At least from what I have read, anything gasoline powered will require a permit from the state. I was hoping to fly under that radar and keep a low profile. If anybody knows that a generator is ok without a permit, I will gladly buy a small one and use it instead. You are right, a small generator would be easier for me to carry around as well. I just may buy one anyhow and give it a shot.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, no doubt it sucks HoserJohn. It doesn't say anything about needing a permit for a gas powered generator though, just gas powered pumps. So until I feel its worth it to cross that bridge, I'm gonna buy a portable gas powered generator to run my pump.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Assuming that the generator you are going to buy is one of them small 1 KW units , be very carefull of running it out of fuel while under a load. BECAUSE most of them WILL overload the windings and burn the windings open and ruin that generator. I had one of them and I took it to a repair shop and they said "pitch it and buy another one because it will be cheaper!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread