CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, like most treasure hunters, read various detecting/treasure hunting magazines. Each advertise gold bearing dirt for sale, shipped to your door. One even states that every 25th bag will contain big nuggets, up to 2 ounces!?
Has anyone ever purchased this pay dirt? If so, have you had luck panning the dirt? I'm curious after my extended cabin fever this winter. Even a flake of "yella" would have made me happy.
Your thoughts please...
Peace

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been going to give that a try, but haven't as yet. Seems like a fun way to blow some money that might pay off.
luvsdux

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how much is a bag? multiply it by 25 and see if selling the bags is more than 2600. if not they wouldn't make money sending you the gold now would they?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks luvsdux and jeff-gordon.
The bags vary in price according to weight. Large bags can be an expensive shot in the dark. I've seen a 50lb bag priced at $250. And yes, they must surely make a profit to stay in business. A good profit too, just to cover advertising. Smaller bags are much more affordable.
Still wanting to hear from anyone who's tried. Even a 2 ounce nugget won't get ya rich, but I think it would be fun to try a bag.
Peace

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key phrase being "UP TO 2 ounces". Which means, it can be much less than 2 ounces. They can't make a profit by giving you 2 ounces of gold every 25 bags, so figure on a fraction of a gram here and there.

Nuclear

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought three 16oz bags from a top seller on ebay--each bag was $3 and shipping about the same. I spent the $12 to practice my panning skills, test out my mini high banker and sluice. I can see tiny specks of gold so I know I should have something in my pan (I'm sure it won't be close to $12). The sell ever include a tiny ziplock bag with three flakes in it--again, I should be finding these in my pan and boxes!
Good practice for the money...I'll let you know the outcome if I ever find the time to give it a try!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I have purchased, but not through the mail that I remember.
I got mine from dealers at GPAA shows & at Club Hunts
only one bag produced fines,
the others produced a few tiny Almost pickers.
all dealers I spoke to admitted what was in was planted

No I do not believe it is possible to make money from Panning these bags, Only from Selling them

But if you want to learn to pan gold where you are sure there is gold to pan

& not pretend with lead BB's buying a few bags is sure allot more fun

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems more labor intensive than a scratcher ticket?

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about expanding the idea to pay dirt for detectors? A bucket of dirt with a wheatie salted in. My idea, send me a % and grow rich. hahahahaha

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is more my speed. probably the same cost analysis....... mzJrn7vyxbuDyTrR8JbTUIw.jpg convenience store souvenir or liquor store beverage. th.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread