What's new

Purchasing my first detector

Irish Reb

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
High Springs, Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I am new at this site and excited about starting this hobby. I have been interested for along time and finally starting. I have done a lot of reading and purchased some good books for beginners and I think that I know what I want to buy. I am interested in a Garrett Ace 250 or 350. Would like to know from the experts if you think that this is a good reasonable unit to start with. This is the budget range I want to be in. Wondering if there are any other suggestions that I should consider. Thanks.
 
If you can you should purchase a used AT Pro. Promise you won't be disapointed.
 
I took the budget up another $100 and went with the White's Coinmaster GT. Not entry level but not the ATP level either. Lots of bells and whistles, easy to learn!
 
I have had my AT Pro for two weeks now and you would have a tough time prying it out of my hands!! I had a high teck detector that cost over $1000 and it didn't preform any where near the AT Pro. First time out found 74 coins in three hours in the same area that I had worked & worked with the other detector. Enough said!!!
 
Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more money on a mid-range machine ($400-$600 range). You will find yourself wanting to upgrade from anything less in a short time... trust me! It will cost less in the long run to spend the money up front. Another good option is to buy used... you can get a really good 2nd hand machine for $500 or less.
 
Garrett or Fisher, either one will do you a good job. You might also look at the Teknetics Eurotek. It is made by the same company as Fisher detectors, First Texas, and like Garrett, they are made in the USA.
 
I agree with all. Make sure you purchase your entry level machine with a VDI/TID display. A 0-99 numbered display will help learning many different targets.
Welcome and good luck...
Peace
 
I'd go with the Ace 250 with a DD coil and a pro-pointer and a good shovel & a good digger.
Welcome
 
Welcome! If you can get your hands on some detectors and "test drive" a few different ones, see which you like.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom