Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Put a question to "service & repair" so far no replies..maybe someone here could anxw

er my question:

My car was out in 80+* temps for three days..with two tornado coils & GT unit and Elite unit in the trunk. :BangHead:

now both coils are inoperable ( erratic threshold...coughing , choking, bleeping, etc)

Soooooooooo...could this possibly be due the extreme temps in the trunk ruining the inside of the coils?

I have been getting various ( yes, no, maybe) answers

Has anyone on the forum encountered this problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Lorraine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't offer an opinion Lorraine but hope they fire up ok after being in doors for a day or so. That's exactly why I always store mine in the A/C. GL

Yes the high temps changed the calibration of the coils and could have damaged a component in the box, like a solder joint.

Got agree with Sandman. Your not alone. Case in point at Daytona beach was so anxious to detect left my waterproof camera in the car on top of the console. Yep car facing east at 7am , windshield acted as magnifying glass..... bought a new camera

Send Joe (OBN) a PM. I'm sure at some point he's encountered similar circumstances that he's had to investigate/iron out.

One of my detector manuals say leaving the detector in a trunk or hot car is a no no! It was either in the Minelab Owner's manual or the Whites Manual!
Sorry that happened Lorraine! Best of luck!

Sorry to hear of your issues Lorraine. Owners manuals always say to not leave in trunk of car because of heat. I have done this myself on day trips to beach on hot days, leaving my spare detector in the trunk of the car. Only because I was by myself and had no other options available to me. When doing this I always put the spare in a heavy padded bag and then cover with a heavy blanket to hopefully insulate from the excessive heat. So far I have never had an issue with any of my machines, but still not advisable if you have any other options available. Electronics are sensitive to excessive heat...Stuart

"One of my detector manuals say leaving the detector in a trunk or hot car is a no no! It was either in the Minelab Owner's manual or the Whites Manual!
Sorry that happened Lorraine! Best of luck! "

Thanks, Rusty:

And even though I've read both manuals 3-4 times, I was lax about this:BangHead: .No excuse...pure carelessness.

Just to expand on Sandman's point-

In the ever cheap manufacturing of electronic components they are using low temp solder and paste in the building of the circuit boards and the like.

Your trunk can easily go past the melt point of some components in the summer. The board simply 'unglues' itself.

Sorry to hear about your loss of such a close friend.

I was stupid and killed my Sand Shark by leaving batteries in it once. (note- only once)

Thank you , Penzfan
Lorraine

My DFX lives in my truck, no problem yet...

Thank you, sandman

LOrraine

Thank you, gamiller
Lorraine

Thank you, bigscoop

Lorraine

Thank you, Search & Recovery

Lorraine

Thank you, G.I.B.

Lorraine

So sorry, Lorraine. Hope the repairs are inexpensive and quick. On the other hand, if there is a detector younhave been lusting over, perhaps you owe yourself a new one (or two).

Trunk is not as hot as inside the car, should not be a problem.

Thank you, SS Tupperware

Lorraine

Thanks , Boatlode...second coil is being checked out now...results should be in by the end of the week.

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back