Quantrill/James/Younger Treasures Near Red River in North Texas

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While researching some treasure leads a few nights ago, I ran across this article about some treasure that was said to have been buried by members of Quantrill's Guerrillas, including the James and Younger Brothers, near the Red River. Since that is a little out of my area of operation, I thought I would share it here in hopes that it may help someone closer.

Strong Connnections to Grayson - Genealogy.com

"...
Bill Brown now lives in Denison, but grew up in Colbert, where he listened to many stories told by Mrs. Mabel Bacon, an old-timer in the area. Bill said there were a lot of stories of gold buried along Red River. Mrs. Bacon told Bill that Frank and Jesse had a relative living east of Denison, near Carpenter’s Bluff and that they came here to hide out when officers got high behind them. She said that Frank came more than Jesse.

Some of her stories were of the Younger Brothers and Quantrill’s raiders roaming the river and hiding out. There are supposed to have buried their gold along the river, then came back and get it.

Bill’s dad grew up in the area north of Hendrix and he said that he and his brother found part of a map that had lines on it marking trees and other landmarks. One day Bill’s grandpa and the family were in the fields and several men got off the train and rode by their house.

They ask Bill’s dad and his brother if they had seen a piece of paper with writing on it. They handed the paper over to the men, who rode off toward the river. Bill said he thought the area in which they were looking was where Eastman Creek emptied into the river. Bill’s dad said that at one time there was a big cottonwood tree and the X was around the area of the tree.

Bill talked to a lot of the older people as he was growing up and they told him where Frank and Jesse stayed when they came to this part of the country. They said that both were good to people and that was one of the reasons they helped them out..."

***~Texas Jay

Attaching an old photo which shows Cole Younger (standing with black hat and watch chain on his vest) with a bunch of old Confederate Veterans.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treasurehuntingtexas - My Treasure Hunting Texas group on Yahoo.

Wild+West+Show+Guerrilla+reunion+2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread