Quarters...joke was on me

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by a local bank branch to see if anything fun came in. The teller said someone brought in 1000.00 + of quarters. She said the papers on them are old and there was insulation (paper kind) in the boxes.

I though to myself....this could be fun! Old quarters from someones attic stash. Boy was I wrong!!!!

All state quarters! I only picked up 400.00 worth, but after opening 10 rolls of nothing but new state quarters...I was done!

Oh well...jokes on me.

Upvote 0

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Only 10 rolls into it , and you gave up?
Why don't you finish them? Never assume they are skunk, until you search thru them!!!
I even search rolls that are marked, and have found tons , i mean tons Ag coin in those supposely searched rolls.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
cbrtriple8 said:
Only 10 rolls into it , and you gave up?
Why don't you finish them? Never assume they are skunk, until you search thru them!!!
I even search rolls that are marked, and have found tons , i mean tons Ag coin in those supposely searched rolls.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Every coin was a state quarter in the 10 rolls. They were sorted by states in order from what I can tell.

I may go through some more before tomorrow afternoon, but it looks skunked.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
sounds to me like a great oppurtunity... there are several errors on those state quarters, and believe me, if you found one in BU or even AU condition, you could buy more silver with that profit than you could ever find in several months or for some people even a year CRH'ing....

That is what I would be doing, and I would be as excited about finding one of those as any silver could ever get me....

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
TheRockDoc said:
sounds to me like a great oppurtunity... there are several errors on those state quarters, and believe me, if you found one in BU or even AU condition, you could buy more silver with that profit than you could ever find in several months or for some people even a year CRH'ing....

That is what I would be doing, and I would be as excited about finding one of those as any silver could ever get me....

....me running to the next room to look though the quarters -----------> ZOOOMMMMMM!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird, who would save $1,000 in state quarters? You might get lucky, maybe from then on, the remaining 60 rolls are from 1939-1999, you NEVER know :icon_sunny:

Good luck.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
weird, who would save $1,000 in state quarters? You might get lucky, maybe from then on, the remaining 60 rolls are from 1939-1999, you NEVER know :icon_sunny:

Good luck.

or maybe even 1932-1999

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
BuffaloBoy said:

Good luck.

Give me a solid roll of uncirculated 83 clad any day.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I would look for Wisconsin quarters for sure (D mint). When I lived in San Antonio I found six of the extra leaf variety! You never know. Those six errors were my largest score for value ever (worth about $300 per coin!). Beat finding $50 face in 90% silver dimes.

I hope you find some good stuff :icon_thumleft:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know, this could have been part of a collection that had a bunch of different stuff, including statehood quarters. Keep checking, you already have them there with you.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Check for the missing T in the motto. Instead of saying In God We Trust the error would say In God We Rust.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Novapax said:
TheRockDoc said:

....me running to the next room to look though the quarters -----------> ZOOOMMMMMM!!!

That is funny, I cant decide if you are being sarcastic or not, but either way, it made me laugh.... I actually pictured the Zoommmmm!!!, as if you would see a zoooommmmm in an old kids cartoon or something. I hope you find something good, like others have mentioned the state quarter errors can be d*%$ valuable. It would be easy too, if they are all organized by state and mint mark, you could just find the states that have the errors, and search those ones.

Good luck either way.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
BuffaloBoy said:

Good luck.

I know they are fairly valuable, but why? The mintage is normal. :dontknow: :help:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
sagittarius98 said:
Diver_Down said:
BuffaloBoy said:

Good luck.

I know they are fairly valuable, but why? The mintage is normal. :dontknow: :help:

A number of factors contribute to astronomical prices of 1983 Qrts. First, during the 50 and 60's, many collectors saved rolls yet when they tried to profit by selling they realized that a lot of other collectors saved rolls. Hence, there was an overwhelming supply on the market depressing prices. By the late seventies, roll saving had grown out of favor by collectors. In 1982, the Mint introduced new commemoratives with precious metal in their composition. Collectors overwhelming embraced the commemoratives thus accounting for a significant portion of a collector's budget. Collectors had also begun to rely on the supply of mint sets for mint state specimens. In 1983, the government had opted to cut costs and did not issue mint sets. They also didn't announce this cost cutting measure. The Mint did issue the a commemorative in 1983 to support the restoration of the Statue of Liberty. What better cause to support? Consequently, no one saved rolls of '83 quarters fresh from the bank when the entire mintage was released into circulation. Only after the news spread that there was no mint set for the year, did collectors save what they could find. But the damage was done, there is very little supply of mint state 83 qrts especially in high mint state (ms 65 and above). With little supply and great demand, the price has skyrocketed.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It took a bit but I did go through them. Didn't see any error coins. Is there a list of state coin errors? I knew about the extra corn husk leaf.

Would be nice to have a photo list of the errors. I could set up my iPad or computer up as I search.

Thanks again. I was being a bit funny with the zoom pic, but I did go right out and start on them. I only did the 400.00 I bought but turned them in when I picked up my halves.

Once I'm done with my halves this week if they still have them I will get more.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax said:
It took a bit but I did go through them. Didn't see any error coins. Is there a list of state coin errors? I knew about the extra corn husk leaf.

Would be nice to have a photo list of the errors. I could set up my iPad or computer up as I search.

Thanks again. I was being a bit funny with the zoom pic, but I did go right out and start on them. I only did the 400.00 I bought but turned them in when I picked up my halves.

Once I'm done with my halves this week if they still have them I will get more.

This is a basic list but it is still ok:

http://joemacho.hubpages.com/hub/Value-of-State-Quarters

You have to scroll down a little until you see a pic of the Wisconsin error coin.

Also this previous post:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=283487.0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread