What's new

Quarters

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Looking at Silver Stripes quarter box got me thinking. Never tried a quarter box myself, but I did pick up 44 throughout last year, loose, rolled and bagged, without putting much effort into it.
I have the feeling that besides what the "experts" say quarter boxes may be a good source of keepers. Maybe as good as dime boxes.
I'm going to experiment with ordering several boxes of quarters , as soon as my half boxes go sour.
HH
Rich
 
Upvote 0
i doubt they would ever be as good as dime boxes unless there was someones collection dumped in there. with all the state quarters, territories, et al....the ratio of keepers to dumps would be very low in my opinion.
 
As good as the halves seem to be in your area, why wouldn't the quarters be good as well? I would be amazed if your finds aren't well above average.
 
Quarters= skunk, skunk, skunk, 1, skunk skunk, skunk.......
 
Yea don't get too excited- I bought 5 boxes today trying to find a twin to the other and only got a '64 for my trouble. Halves have been harsh last few days as well, todays 4 boxes gave up (1) '65. HH Mark
 
Whenever I get quarters they're mostly state commems. My first ever box of halves game me 5-40% and 1-90% ben. I'm hoping that it wasn't luck and there just aren't any half hunters in my area. I'll find out next Wednesday.
 
Last year I averaged just under 1/2 silver quarter per box. I believe I searched 66 boxes total. This includes a couple of Canadian quarters. Most I found in one box was three and I had run of 10 skunks in a row. I averaged over 6 silver dimes per box last year. 0 skunks. I recently got a box that was at least 1/3 Bicentennial.
 
dave5710 said:
Last year I averaged just under 1/2 silver quarter per box. I believe I searched 66 boxes total. This includes a couple of Canadian quarters. Most I found in one box was three and I had run of 10 skunks in a row. I averaged over 6 silver dimes per box last year. 0 skunks. I recently got a box that was at least 1/3 Bicentennial.

Wow! 6 dimes/box average is fantastic! I've done a few dimes myself. 8 boxes produced 2 silver Rosies total. I'd definitely be searching all the dimes I could if I could average 6 per box.
 
Electronova said:
Whenever I get quarters they're mostly state commems. My first ever box of halves game me 5-40% and 1-90% ben. I'm hoping that it wasn't luck and there just aren't any half hunters in my area. I'll find out next Wednesday.

They are state quarters, but not state commems. Commems are normally something that is put out well above face value, and in half dollar and dollar denominations. they are just state quarters. :-)
 
jrf30 said:
Electronova said:
Whenever I get quarters they're mostly state commems. My first ever box of halves game me 5-40% and 1-90% ben. I'm hoping that it wasn't luck and there just aren't any half hunters in my area. I'll find out next Wednesday.

They are state quarters, but not state commems. Commems are normally something that is put out well above face value, and in half dollar and dollar denominations. they are just state quarters. :-)

thanks, it's always nice to learn more accurate terminology
 
Had a buddy at work yesterday hand me a '61 and a '62 that he happened to have in pocket change. He thinks he got them from two different stores in the area. Maybe I better get me a box!
 
Mark me down for another skunk box of quarters, although I did pull out a roll of bicentennial which some idiot on craigslist has been asking to buy.
 
Rich Hartford said:
Looking at Silver Stripes quarter box got me thinking. Never tried a quarter box myself, but I did pick up 44 throughout last year, loose, rolled and bagged, without putting much effort into it.
I have the feeling that besides what the "experts" say quarter boxes may be a good source of keepers. Maybe as good as dime boxes.
I'm going to experiment with ordering several boxes of quarters , as soon as my half boxes go sour.
HH
Rich
I've contemplated the same thing...Halves here run hot and cold, but dimes have been pretty good. I think I'll try a run of quarters too just to satisfy my own curiosity! As is allways the case with this hobby... "the price is certainly right" as there is no cost to try.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom