scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Could it be a core??

That was my guess.....but it looks almost like the "crumbly" type of quartz rock that probably wouldn't be the best for points though. Not sure.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually thats typically what I find. Looks crumbly but, its not the sugar quartz. It was used a lot for points. I see the worked edge, most of my tools have that type of worked edge, so do my blade/knife preforms. Its not a typical axe but sure looks like it was going to be used to make points. I have a kirk made from that exact type of quartz, also a turtleback scraper (same colour)
If the quartz mines were far away they would break the quartz up into more manageable peices to take back to the campsites to work on, I feel that typically looks like one of those pieces. It's definetly showing signs of knapping, I would keep it.

Molly.

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Thanks molly. Its not crumbly quartz. Its not sugar quartz either. It could be a core but most of the cores i find are not shaped like this. This thing definetly has a bit that is knapped and has wear.Wish I could show you in person. maybe I will try a short vid when I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread