What's new

Quest X Pointer Max

oldkoot

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,583
Golden Thread
0
Location
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Troy Shadow X5
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Tejon & Bandito 2 Umax
Fisher Cz5
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked up a Quest X Pointer max Pin Pointer, I will say this is probably the most sensitive pin pointers I have ever used, and it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good, it is more of a tip pointer like the TRX was as it has a dead spot from the tip to the main housing it does give a tone when you get rite up against the main housing and at the tip there is about a 3 inch space between the main housing and the tip where it does not sound off, it has a high, medium, and low sensitivity setting plus a boost sensitivity setting, I started out in the boost setting and actually had to turn it down to medium to high sensitivity because it kept going off in boost mode, the discrimination also is spot on with this Quest X Pointer Max, it has vibration and tone settings with 5 volume levels and I will say this is the loudest pin pointer I have ever used, I currently have the Fisher F Pulse, Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive,Garrett Original Pro Pointer which I purchased in 2009 and now the Quest X Pointer Max, the F pulse I could not even hear the thing at all, the Pulse Dive was so dang heavy it would literally pull your pants down if you had it on your belt, my original Garrett pro pointer was just getting old, so I decided to give the X Pointer Max a try and I will say I am glad I did very nice discriminating pointer that actually works great, the only thing I do not like about the Quest X Pointer Max is the buttons are a little hard to push but I can live with them because all the other features out way the one thing I do not like


just thought I would share
 
Picked up a Quest X Pointer max Pin Pointer, I will say this is probably the most sensitive pin pointers I have ever used, and it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good, it is more of a tip pointer like the TRX was as it has a dead spot from the tip to the main housing it does give a tone when you get rite up against the main housing and at the tip there is about a 3 inch space between the main housing and the tip where it does not sound off, it has a high, medium, and low sensitivity setting plus a boost sensitivity setting, I started out in the boost setting and actually had to turn it down to medium to high sensitivity because it kept going off in boost mode, the discrimination also is spot on with this Quest X Pointer Max, it has vibration and tone settings with 5 volume levels and I will say this is the loudest pin pointer I have ever used, I currently have the Fisher F Pulse, Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive,Garrett Original Pro Pointer which I purchased in 2009 and now the Quest X Pointer Max, the F pulse I could not even hear the thing at all, the Pulse Dive was so dang heavy it would literally pull your pants down if you had it on your belt, my original Garrett pro pointer was just getting old, so I decided to give the X Pointer Max a try and I will say I am glad I did very nice discriminating pointer that actually works great, the only thing I do not like about the Quest X Pointer Max is the buttons are a little hard to push but I can live with them because all the other features out way the one thing I do not like


just thought I would share
I am in the market for a new pinpointer and will definitely check this one out. I am also interested in the new multi-frequency detector. Not much out there yet. Thanks for your review.
 
I am in the market for a new pinpointer and will definitely check this one out. I am also interested in the new multi-frequency detector. Not much out there yet. Thanks for your review.
I will be purchasing the new Quest V80 when it finally comes to market also but the X Pointer Max I am for sure liking a lot
 
Got an X pointer Max on the way, to try, with their new "magic" holster (probably just has a magnet in it, turns on when pulled out of holder), we'll see how it does I guess. Had to order direct, as no retailers have any yet.... If it isn't any "better", back to the trusty orange carrots, as always, lol.
 
Got an X pointer Max on the way, to try, with their new "magic" holster (probably just has a magnet in it, turns on when pulled out of holder), we'll see how it does I guess. Had to order direct, as no retailers have any yet.... If it isn't any "better", back to the trusty orange carrots, as always, lol.
wonder if that magic holster can be used with the older X Pointer Max pointers, like used with say a 2021 model Max I seen those when I ordered mine but as you said they are not available rite now because of them being new
 
wonder if that magic holster can be used with the older X Pointer Max pointers, like used with say a 2021 model Max I seen those when I ordered mine but as you said they are not available rite now because of them being new
Got it today. Has a strong little flat magnet in the holder and has a sensor inside the pinpointer. If the previous one's have that sensor, I don't know, but a magnet placed anywhere around the handle perimeter will trigger it to standby mode (aligned at the "E" or select button level). I posted a quick video to Youtube channel, UABFWSS
 
Got it today. Has a strong little flat magnet in the holder and has a sensor inside the pinpointer. If the previous one's have that sensor, I don't know, but a magnet placed anywhere around the handle perimeter will trigger it to standby mode (aligned at the "E" or select button level). I posted a quick video to Youtube channel, UABFWSS
Just watched your video, pretty interesting

I am really liking mine for sure, guess I could check my X Pointer Max with a magnet and see if there is a sensor to pause it but I doubt there is LOL I do not ever get that lucky
 
well just checked my X Pointer Max no sensor at all :violent1: guess I should have waited LOL
 
Picked up a Quest X Pointer max Pin Pointer, I will say this is probably the most sensitive pin pointers I have ever used, and it is a discriminating pin pointer which works very very good, it is more of a tip pointer like the TRX was as it has a dead spot from the tip to the main housing it does give a tone when you get rite up against the main housing and at the tip there is about a 3 inch space between the main housing and the tip where it does not sound off, it has a high, medium, and low sensitivity setting plus a boost sensitivity setting, I started out in the boost setting and actually had to turn it down to medium to high sensitivity because it kept going off in boost mode, the discrimination also is spot on with this Quest X Pointer Max, it has vibration and tone settings with 5 volume levels and I will say this is the loudest pin pointer I have ever used, I currently have the Fisher F Pulse, Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive,Garrett Original Pro Pointer which I purchased in 2009 and now the Quest X Pointer Max, the F pulse I could not even hear the thing at all, the Pulse Dive was so dang heavy it would literally pull your pants down if you had it on your belt, my original Garrett pro pointer was just getting old, so I decided to give the X Pointer Max a try and I will say I am glad I did very nice discriminating pointer that actually works great, the only thing I do not like about the Quest X Pointer Max is the buttons are a little hard to push but I can live with them because all the other features out way the one thing I do not like


just thought I would share
Because of your post I just ordered one. Lol
 
Because of your post I just ordered one. Lol
I still use my X Pointer Maxx but have also purchased the X Pointer Maxx that comes with the New Magic Holster which is another fantastic feature, have had no issues with either of my X Pointer Maxx pin pointers they are my go to pointer, the charge last for days

I do not think you will be disappointed at all
 
I don't remember many personal reviews out there when I bought mine (<6 months ago) with the magic holster so I want to add some thoughts. I've used it for a few months after having one of the $50 Dr. O pointers. I've never used a carrot.

Pros-
Rechargeable battery life is great. I use it for several hunts before recharging and it doesn't burn through 9v like my other.

The magic holster saves time and I'm never fumbling with a button. I never remember to turn it off after a hunt and it shuts off eventually.

There are little red or green blinking lights that accompany ferrous or non ferrous detections. This little feature has proven pleasant... Surprisingly appreciated by people watching the dig too.

The differentiation gets better when it's closer to the target. Often, the lights are red and they go green.

It's hard to explain, but there is also a nifty digital panel that reports target response intensity. A column of XXXXs grow when it's ferrous and a collumn of OOOOs grow if it's non-ferrous. I always have it on vibrate, and this with the lights help distinguish close vs very-close for me.

It is a tip detector, and seemingly a strong one. This has helped immensely with direction when I'm following a signal in a hole, and don't want to expand the rim. It has deep detection vs my Otek.

It plays nicely with my manticore. I have to keep the other 5 feet from the coil.

The light on the end is usable for no-moon night detecting.

It has other useful features like making noise if it senses it is left behind, and being able to rebase the detection with a single button press. I forget what that's called in detector terms.

The bad:
Not being able to switch to all-around detection. I love the other mode, but I want it all. Sometimes in a hole or checking soil mounds, I feel like I'm painting, trying to point the tip everywhere. Or drawing, where I'm holding like a big huffy pencil in a hole, trying to rotate it around every angle.

Direct shipping from China and the website/payment experience was odd.

I saw a review where someone was annoyed with the holster and enlarged the hole. It seems fine to me, but it would be nice if the wand was irregularly shaped instead of round to guide the face against the magnet. I have to look at it before hostering to check orientation sometimes.

All in all, I'm shocked at how feature heavy this is compared to my $50 unit.
 
Last edited:
I don't remember many personal reviews out there when I bought mine (<6 months ago) with the magic holster so I want to add some thoughts. I've used it for a few months after having one of the $50 Dr. O pointers. I've never used a carrot.

Pros-
Rechargeable battery life is great. I use it for several hunts before recharging and it doesn't burn through 9v like my other.

The magic holster saves time and I'm never fumbling with a button. I never remember to turn it off after a hunt and it shuts off eventually.

There are little red or green blinking lights that accompany ferrous or non ferrous detections. This little feature has proven pleasant... Surprisingly appreciated by people watching the dig too.

The differentiation gets better when it's closer to the target. Often, the lights are red and they go green.

It's hard to explain, but there is also a nifty digital panel that reports target response intensity. A column of XXXXs grow when it's ferrous and a collumn of OOOOs grow if it's non-ferrous. I always have it on vibrate, and this with the lights help distinguish close vs very-close for me.

It is a tip detector, and seemingly a strong one. This has helped immensely with direction when I'm following a signal in a hole, and don't want to expand the rim. It has deep detection vs my Otek.

It plays nicely with my manticore. I have to keep the other 5 feet from the coil.

The light on the end is usable for no-moon night detecting.

It has other useful features like making noise if it senses it is left behind, and being able to rebase the detection with a single button press. I forget what that's called in detector terms.

The bad:
Not being able to switch to all-around detection. I love the other mode, but I want it all. Sometimes in a hole or checking soil mounds, I feel like I'm painting, trying to point the tip everywhere. Or drawing, where I'm holding like a big huffy pencil in a hole, trying to rotate it around every angle.

Direct shipping from China and the website/payment experience was odd.

I saw a review where someone was annoyed with the holster and enlarged the hole. It seems fine to me, but it would be nice if the wand was irregularly shaped instead of round to guide the face against the magnet. I have to look at it before hostering to check orientation sometimes.

All in all, I'm shocked at how feature heavy this is compared to my $50 unit.
its odd that you have to re holster yours in a certain way, it does not matter how I put mine back in the holster it will go into stand by on mine

overall you gave a nice review of the X pointer Maxx with the magic holster i have been using the one with the Magic holster since it first came out and it is my favorite pointer out of the four I own
 
its odd that you have to re holster yours in a certain way, it does not matter how I put mine back in the holster it will go into stand by on mine

overall you gave a nice review of the X pointer Maxx with the magic holster i have been using the one with the Magic holster since it first came out and it is my favorite pointer out of the four I own
You're right about the holster shutting off the device without having to worry about orientation. It seemed that way on my first time out with it, but it worked fine today. What a difference.
 
I'm gonna have to check this one out. I have the original X-Pointer and the thing still works just as good as the day I bought it. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Maxx.
 
I don't remember many personal reviews out there when I bought mine (<6 months ago) with the magic holster so I want to add some thoughts. I've used it for a few months after having one of the $50 Dr. O pointers. I've never used a carrot.

Pros-
Rechargeable battery life is great. I use it for several hunts before recharging and it doesn't burn through 9v like my other.

The magic holster saves time and I'm never fumbling with a button. I never remember to turn it off after a hunt and it shuts off eventually.

There are little red or green blinking lights that accompany ferrous or non ferrous detections. This little feature has proven pleasant... Surprisingly appreciated by people watching the dig too.

The differentiation gets better when it's closer to the target. Often, the lights are red and they go green.

It's hard to explain, but there is also a nifty digital panel that reports target response intensity. A column of XXXXs grow when it's ferrous and a collumn of OOOOs grow if it's non-ferrous. I always have it on vibrate, and this with the lights help distinguish close vs very-close for me.

It is a tip detector, and seemingly a strong one. This has helped immensely with direction when I'm following a signal in a hole, and don't want to expand the rim. It has deep detection vs my Otek.

It plays nicely with my manticore. I have to keep the other 5 feet from the coil.

The light on the end is usable for no-moon night detecting.

It has other useful features like making noise if it senses it is left behind, and being able to rebase the detection with a single button press. I forget what that's called in detector terms.

The bad:
Not being able to switch to all-around detection. I love the other mode, but I want it all. Sometimes in a hole or checking soil mounds, I feel like I'm painting, trying to point the tip everywhere. Or drawing, where I'm holding like a big hu
I m in the UK and bought the Quest X pointer Maxx as a replacement for my TRX which had started continuously falsing.

I ve had the pointer several months now,and love it...Dare I say it, but I think it's an improvement on the TRX.

I find the Maxx more sensitive especially on very small targets, the speaker is far louder, and so far it doesn't false.

Now a few down sides. I bought mine from a mainstream detecting retailer here in the UK, but they are also sold on line coming direct from China. Unfortunately, many are fakes/clones out there, so use that route at your own risk...

In the UK, the first version of the Maxx had issues with the auto shut off feature in that it was very fussy on how the pinpointers were inserted in the holster. I deliberately bought a version without this feature so can't comment on it.

The third and most serious problem was that in very cold weather the Maxx would shut down.

The dealer assured me this had been resolved and to be fair mine as been ok so far but I have not really been out in really cold conditions as yet...

With this issue in mind, it might be advisable not to leave it in your vehicle overnight during winter if you live in the northern US or Canada though...

So all in all, I love this pinpointer and I consider it a worthy successor/improvement to the TRX and highly recommend it....
 
Last edited:
I m in the UK and bought the Quest X pointer Maxx as a replacement for my TRX which had started continuously falsing.

I ve had the Counter several months now,and love it...Dare I say it, but I think it's an improvement on the TRX.

I find the Maxx more sensitive especially on very small targets, the speaker is far louder, and so far it doesn't false.

Now a few down sides. I bought mine from a mainstream detecting retailer here in the UK, but they are also sold on line coming direct from China. Unfortunately, many are fakes/clones out there, so use that route at your own risk...

In the UK, the first version of the Maxx had issues with the auto shut off feature in that it was very fussy on how the pinpointers was inserted in the holster. I deliberately bought a version without this feature so can't comment on it.

The third and most serious problem was that in very cold weather the Maxx would shut down.

The dealer assured me this had been resolved and to be fair mine as been ok so far but I have not really been out in really cold conditions as yet...With this issue in mind, it might be advisable not to leave it in your vehicle overnight during winter if you live in the northern US or Canada though...

So all in all, I love this pinpointer and I consider it a worthy successor/improvement to the TRX and highly recommend it....
why do you need a discriminating pin pointer ...?
 
well just checked my X Pointer Max no sensor at all :violent1: guess I should have waited LOL
They are available with and without the auto shut off feature...the ones with the feature are slightly more expensive....
 
why do you need a discriminating pin pointer ...?
I wanted a pinpointer which was tip sensitive and with decent depth to replace my faulty TRX, and the Xpointer Maxx was the only one I could find that met those criteria. The discrimination feature was not really a deciding factor in me choosing the Maxx.

That said, I find it comes in handy...it provides you a little bit more info as you search for the target. Combined with the tip sensitivity, you can also pick up two targets in a hole especially if they are a few inches apart...So you might note there's a ferrous signal in the wall, but you are getting a non ferrous signal in the bottom...

So I sort of like the feature, but I see it as just an added bonus, and it would not be a driving factor for me choosing a pointer...

I should add you can turn off the discrimination feature if you really wanted to, but I can't think of a good reason to do so....
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom