question about 100 troy oz bars

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone have info on United States Silver Corporation 100+ troy ounce .999 silver bars? I've seen various other 100 oz bars but not one made by US Silver. I've also see US Silver Corp ONE oz art bars. I'm thinking it's from the 70s but I'm not sure. The one I saw has a seal that looks like a coin, some fancy impressed marks around the edge, & the US Silver etc etc on the top of the bar. The bottom of the bar has a quote about silver being true wealth, etc etc, plus the top 2 corners are stamped with the actual weight. In this case it was "102.5 troy ounces actual weight". Any info would be appreciated.

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Forgot to ask something else, how would a person be able to tell if a bar is a "drill & fill"? Is there a weight variation between the real bars & the drill & fills?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Cruisin said:
how would a person be able to tell if a bar is a "drill & fill"?

Saw it in half. Some say you can do a sound test and tell if it has lead in it. I don't ever buy bars over 10 oz for fear of getting a drilled and filled bar. And if silver ever does really take off in value, I would rather have smaller denominations. If it was drilled and filled it probably would be off a bit in weight from what is stamped, but I don't know that for sure.

Odds are the bar is fine, and the company you name is one I have heard of. But there is always a chance you could get ripped off. Did you get a good deal/offer on the bar?

Jim

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Jim, The bar was in the estate of a family I know. They think that the father, who passed away quite a few years ago, bought it sometime between the mid 70s and the late 80s. They have no idea where he got it. He never mentioned it at all. If he bought it back in the 70s then perhaps it hasn't been drilled & filled. It was pretty neat to see the bar. I've never seen one that big! It's also fairly fancy compared to most silver bars. I don't know if they would be up with sawing it in half though :>)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Cruisin said:
Jim, The bar was in the estate of a family I know. They think that the father, who passed away quite a few years ago, bought it sometime between the mid 70s and the late 80s. They have no idea where he got it. He never mentioned it at all. If he bought it back in the 70s then perhaps it hasn't been drilled & filled. It was pretty neat to see the bar. I've never seen one that big! It's also fairly fancy compared to most silver bars. I don't know if they would be up with sawing it in half though :>)

I was just joking about the sawing part. But if the bar is from the era of when silver was at 50 bucks an ounce, there is probably a better chance of a drill and fill than when silver was 10 bucks an ounce.

You could probably take it to a coin dealer you trust and he might be able to tell you if it is legit or not.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread