My thoughts on the CZ 20, as I explained to Mike, and I hope Felix, and all the others that said that Fisher has given them excellent service may now understand where I'm coming from. I didn't expose this information because, my problem was with what Fisher was charging for the up grade and the lack of information that was not be given to me when I asked exactly what the up grade entailed. I've had CZ 20's for the last 11 years. The first one's pin point button went on it, and was repaired for like 90.00 dollars or less, with good turn around time, fast replay on the phone and e-mail, and shipping. One of my buddies begged me to sell to him, and offered me a buy price I couldn't refused. I had already made some good finds and just about had paid for it self. This last one about two years ago, I bought on E-Bay, when an older senior needed to pay some bills and that was his excuse for selling it.
Problem was I purchased it, as is... Never, Ever, buy on E-Bay on a as is basis, because, the chances of getting burnt is very high. Anyway, bought it, and the 20 looked almost brand new cosmetic wise. Oh, another point and advise, never buy a CZ 20 if the summer season is about to end, like a week or two before labor day as I did. The first hunt went well, with the 20 working without any problems, but no gold to begin paying the 550.00 back then was a good price. The next week at low tide, a week before labor day, I was at the waters edge, ready to go in the water, and as I try to tune the 20, all I got was this long high pitch. I knew then that the pin pointer was gone, and mind you, I had clean the 20 after the last hunt with the fresh water. The CZ 20 must be cleaned after every hunt, and I might add the 21 as well. If not, the salt some way work around the pin pointer and that's where the problem starts, why? who knows, and make sure you have that baby sealed correctly. I make a check list when replacing batteries, and re-sealing the compartment.
So, I got one hunt out of the 20, couldn't send it back, and when I e-mailed the old man that sold it to me, had the nerve to tell me that he would buy the 20 back for 175.00. Now I know, that if I would have said yes, he would have up graded it to a 21, and resale it for another 600.00 or 700.00 or more, because the 21 are proving to have corrected the problem with the pin pointer. Now, almost two years ago, Fisher was charging 185.00 for the up grade, plus 550.00, and nothing to off set the price, as buying the 20 left me broke as an investment for looking to capitalize on it, turned out to be a very bad deal for me. So, I didn't up grade. This year I called Fisher, and waited two days to obtain a RA number. My thought is that, I should have been told off the bat, that the up grade had gone up to 300.00 plus tax before I was given a RA number. I would have never sent it in, because now, it's 550.00 plus 329.00, and it turns out I'd be better off buying another working CZ 20.
May I also suggest that, if your CZ 20 is or was well taken care of, they are the work horse of all water detectors. Since it's so early in the season up here in the north east, I would use it, but if that pin pointer goes out, the turn around time for repairs can run for as long as a month, because fisher may be very busy. If you have made most of your money back with a few good finds, I would not wait and send it in for the up grade, because, it's early in the season, even in the south. You'' be more confident that your 20, up graded will perform for the whole summer without any down time. Down Time, is our worst enemy, believe me, be it in the woods, parks, especially the water hunts. I hope this advise will help you make a decision to weigh the pros and the cons as the CZ 20 and its up grade. Oh, and do listen to a few of the seasoned hunters here at treasure net, they have a wealth of information and advise.. Good luck guys and dolls, may the winds be calm, your surfs tranquil, and your treasure bags full with goodies this year. Be safe out there, and only go into the water using the buddy system, or when lifeguards are present. Our live's are not worth any amount of gold that's in the water, common sense first, and then the right actions can keep you from harms way.
HH...
Philo_NY
PS I don't anything against any company as far as business, they are in business to make money, but at one point or another you need to take care of your loyal customers. It assures that they will be returning to give you more business. Don't treate them as though they do not know what they are asking or talking about, because as SXX's says, a well educated consumer, is your best customer... Now get out there and dig some treasure... ARR...