Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

A friend of mine just picked up a super tiny Keene dredge pump on a little 1hp 2 stroke motor for $80.
I will have pictures up tomorrow.

The pump is bright yellow and the inlet and outlet are about the same at 1".
The pump is suppose to move 60gpm, when we put it in a 5gal bucket it drained it in 5 seconds, so it seems about right.
The motor is a little 1hp 2 stroke motor.

This thing is super light, like 10lbs light!

This little guy has seen very little use and appears like new, starts right up every time, runs perfect and has no leaks.

My questions are:

What model is the pump?
What size dredge is it suppose to be for?
What size sluice should we run?
Can we run a creek sluice with such little flow or do we need dredge riffles?
Should we set it up with a jet log or suction nozzle?
What would its maximum depth and length be with the size that it is suppose to be? (I think its for a 1.5.)
Where could I pick up another like it?

With all of our conventional dredges its really neat to have something so small added to our gear list.
I would really like to pick one up like it, its just perfect for super long hikes.

Thanks. :)

Pump.jpg

motor.jpg

plate.jpg

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Is the pump housing plastic or aluminum? I have a 2" Keene backpack dredge with a similar pump. Don't have it close so can't measure but it is a plastic housing (black) with a little Kawasaki 2 stroke. Does a fine job on a 2" suction nozzle. Sluice has dredge riffles.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If im not mistaken the inlet/outlet of that pump is 1 1/4 dia. I have one of those eng/pump combos with the yellow alumn housing and I put it on a very light weight 2 inch dredge similar to what Keene has with the tubular inflatable floats. I built this last winter and haven't had a chance to get it wet yet because of my back problems. BUT this Summer im giving it heck!

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sounds like you have the same pump Rassau.
This one is aluminum.

For a backpack dredge, I don't think it can get much better. :)
I havnt picked up the 2" 4 stroker version yet but I will assume that its a little bigger and heavier.

The guy that my friend bought it from said it wasn't quite enough to run a 2" but he wasn't a very experienced and way too large of an adapter on the outlet which caused cavitation and loss of pressure.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
awhile back I had a Proline 2 inch dredge with the Honda 4 stroke eng and the P100 pump. I used it to make a hole for my 4 inch dredge but I ended up selling the 2 in. for fuel to get to Wyoming one year.... ive been kicking myself ever since! I retied about 5 years ago and slipped and hurt my back , so I decided to clean out my shop of things I wasn't going to use anymore. I had a bunch of material/parts to built another 2 inch dredge , so instead of selling/pitching stuff out , I built me new 2 inch dredge to try out some of Docs Gold Hog matting. well its built and still sitting in my shop to use.This Spring im going to give it h*ll and try it out. plus im going to bring my dredges to Northern Misery to try out a creek in the Glacial drift areas to my north. UNLESS someone lightens my load!

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pictures added. :)

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya everyone;

A friend of mine just picked up a super tiny Keene dredge pump on a little 1hp 2 stroke motor for $80.
I will have pictures up tomorrow.

The pump is bright yellow and the inlet and outlet are about the same at 1".
The pump is suppose to move 60gpm, when we put it in a 5gal bucket it drained it in 5 seconds, so it seems about right.
The motor is a little 1hp 2 stroke motor.

This thing is super light, like 10lbs light!

This little guy has seen very little use and appears like new, starts right up every time, runs perfect and has no leaks.

My questions are:

What model is the pump?
What size dredge is it suppose to be for?
What size sluice should we run?
Can we run a creek sluice with such little flow or do we need dredge riffles?
Should we set it up with a jet log or suction nozzle?
What would its maximum depth and length be with the size that it is suppose to be? (I think its for a 1.5.)
Where could I pick up another like it?

With all of our conventional dredges its really neat to have something so small added to our gear list.
I would really like to pick one up like it, its just perfect for super long hikes.

Thanks. :)

View attachment 1111396

View attachment 1111397

View attachment 1111398
===============================================================================
WOW !!!!,,,
So KEENE actually makes a dredge this small ? This is EXACTLY what I could use.
Most of the streams I check out are a pretty good hike in and are small streams to tiny rivulets.
So ANY piece of equipment that small in physical size and around 10 pounds or so looks very attractive to my eyes.

Usually I work solo and this hardware even becomes more appealing. A 1 gallon tank of pre-mix along with a full tank would definately run me a full day.
Thanks for bringing this up and posting it.

I just may have to pick this up when the refund arrives this year.

Hit

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jobe_7551_floating_flair_suction_nozzle_gold_dredge.jpg You can also get it with a power jet and flair. two sizes, 2 and 2-1/2" 07214149364.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So after looking around and comparing the current 2" dredges GMP (90 - 100gpm) and this ones (60gpm) I am coming to the conclusion that it is a 1" - 1.5" dredge.
I have found the larger 90GPM version of this dredge for a 2" but this one is even smaller than that.

The 2" dredges are running a 10" wide sluice, should we run an 8" wide sluice to compensate for the lack of volume?
Neither of us currently have anything smaller than a 10" except for the EZ sluice but that is too small, that's just my cleanup sluice for my Bazooka.

The 10" is in my collection, it is the Jobe YellowJacket 45.
I see that this sluice is used in their 1.5" power sluice, what do you guys think about using this one? I was hoping for smaller for a more backpack friendly design.

I wish TeeDee had an 8"x4"x36" version of their EZ sluice with metal clip in riffles. :(
The standard 7"x2.5"x24" could possibly work if the sides were taller. But at 7" wide I wonder if that would be too much volume.
I would also have to replace the riffles and add a second EZ sluice if we were to do this so I am going to say no to this option.

I think I will just take some sheet metal down to a friend brake press, make my own box and order up some RiverHog dredge mat.
What do you guys think about this option?

Or should I just run the 10" Yellowjacket?

Damn, I knew I should have put a Poll question on here! lol

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
FORGET THE RIFFELs for a 1.5 dredge! use a classifying screen for the waste rock for the top part of your sluice. Gold Hog mats will work just fine for your needs! your pump wont have enough to make riffels work and youll have the sluice loaded with larger rocks. and the 8 inch sluice maybe your better option. try the 10 inch first if you have something already to go! the more obsticals you have in your sluice, the more water/pressure youll need to clear it out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what I was thinking and what got me started on the GoldHog mats.

I've watched the video's in the past but I just refreshed myself again and it looks like the Talon matting would probably be best for this type of build.

The way they sell the matting we will have enough to make a four 8" wide sections totaling 24" long.
I would like just a little longer but I may be thinking wrong there because I am use to much larger sluice box's. I don't want a build up of material at the end.

I will do a make shift test on my YellowJacket when we get the rest of the parts to finish this build.

If we didn't know area's WAY freakin back in the boonies I wouldn't even be messing with this build and stick to my 2.5" and 4" dredges. lol

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Neo, the one I have with the plastic pump (no larger than yours is still on the original dredge. It's a 2" Keene with suction nozzle, 10" box with dredge riffles. It was designed to ride on a single inner tube.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The box isn't a big problem, if it can handle my YellowJacket then we will use that as it is a dual riffle system, creek and Hungarian riffles.
I just don't want my friend spending the cash to set it up as a 2" if it cant support that and have to buy everything all over again for a 1.5".

Jobe makes all the accessories I could ever want for my YellowJacket including a 1.5" - 2" - 2.5" header box. It would be nice if I could run the YellowJacket to make life easier and cheaper. :D
but I still think I will probably need an 8" wide instead of 10".

Warning!!! .pdf file
Copy, Paste, Save. :)

www.rosewindminingsupply.com/Sluice...rukB7D0sXDcPAKLpA&sig2=d80hf6XbSJhb0xldalrz2w

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just found this little video of a 1.5" running 52gpm into a Keene A52 (Same width as the YellowJacket) as a power sluice and he turned down the flow a little bit.

After finding this I think that the 60gpm plus the added water from the nozzle suction will be sufficient to run the 10" Yellowjacket.

Are there any calculations out there to tell me how many GPM I will be running at the suction hose?

Last edited:

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Just so you know that pump in the video is junk and not easily rebuild able. I think you are better off with the yellow pump you have.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yes, I know that, I was just comparing GPM flow in a 10" box. :)
I have no intentions of buying a pump like that, I will stick to my centrifugal pumps. :D

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He got a 2" crash box today from a buddy.
He is going to reduce it to 1.5".

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
on my 2 inch dredge I have both the flaired sluice and a over under sluice with a crashbox........so what is your thoughts in making it a crashbox vrs. the flaired ? I Built this dredge I guess 2 winters back and haven't had a chance to get it wet. so im picking your brain as to what you want to accomplish with the CB setup. I.E. stream conditions warrant it? lots of clay? or cemented gravels? my first 2 in. Proline I used to hog out a hole for my 4 in. but I sold it and then I saw Docs Gold Hog matting and wanted to try it out but maybe this Spring ill get it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread