Question about buckleberry's post

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Figure 12 in his PDF he posted mentions a tube pipe pebble stopper. I've heard other mentions of said pieces maybe once from uniface. I have searched the internet with those terms and can't really find any info. Anyone here have any examples they have found that they could post? I think I may have one but I can't find much info online. I'll post a pic later when I get home of what I have that I feel could be one. I'd appreciate any help on the topic.

Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine dug a tube pipe about 5"that still had a stone in it . We figured to keep from sucking whatever they were smoking in your mouth,a filter of sorts. Not sure how to reach him anymore.

OP
OP
N

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes! A post I remember reading mentioned that a tube pipe isn't complete without the stone. Not sure if it was here or maybe 'ology before they shut down. Just can't find many references to the stones themselves.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tube pipes are still in common use in India.

The chillum is mostly used for smoking a hashish and tobacco mix.

A small stone or screen is required to block material from being sucked down the stem.

No doubt about it.

Of course any pebble will work so hard to id if not installed in a pipe when discovered.

pasted image 0.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, they're called block end tube pipes, and I believe it must be as suggested, to prevent the smoker from inhaling the substance, but with enough of a gap to inhale smoke. These were often interpreted as a shaman pipe, the smoke inhaled, and then exhaled over the sick individual. Some info on tube pipes in general here:

http://www.peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/12-pipes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions