Question about compass VLF DETECTOR

Hybridcruiser

Jun 11, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Hi everyone ,

One day I was fishing through my van (which I don't drive anymore) and came across a old compass VLF detector..I must of bought it at a rummage sale back in the late 90's for a few bucks..That's about when I stopped driving my van..I was wondering if anyone had any info on this machine which would be much aprecaited...Enclosed is some pictures of this detector...
thanks for your help in advance!!!
hybridcruiser

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 495
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 417

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compass used to be one of the leaders but they hardly advertise anymore. This older detector used to be a fine coin getter and still would be if it works. However the newer circuits are more advanced and the newer detectors are lighter an use less power.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Hybridcruiser said:
Hi everyone ,

One day I was fishing through my van (which I don't drive anymore) and came across a old compass VLF detector..I must of bought it at a rummage sale back in the late 90's for a few bucks..That's about when I stopped driving my van..I was wondering if anyone had any info on this machine which would be much aprecaited...Enclosed is some pictures of this detector...
thanks for your help in advance!!!
hybridcruiser

Interesting concept that van fishing. If you go to eBay and paste this number in the search box: 250086413207 you'll see that a Compass Coin Magnum 2 sold for $227.50 on Feb-26-07. I've read some good things on different forums about that machine, but it did have its negatives also. Like any MD, there are good and bad opinions to be found. Just Google "Compass Coin Magnum" and you'll find assorted comments, like one that mentions finding a "very fine gold necklace several inches in the sand".
( http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,337358,339194 )

If your machine still works, go ahead and give it a go. All you have to loose is the price of a set of batteries. I use a Compass Magnum 420 now, or at least I will again as soon as I replace the coil, or repair the coil wire. It still works but theres a break in the wire somewhere and when it separates, theres no warning,just silence. So I can be using the machine and think all is well, when suddenly I notice that its too quiet, then I wiggle the cable and it beeps to life again.

Don't worry though. Your machine doesn't appear to have gone through a fire like mine did, so it shouldn't experience similar problems.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread