What's new

Question about detectors

Jan B

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 26, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all - I'm new to this forum so I appreciate any help you can offer. My son received a Radio Shack detector, model 63-3005. Nothing fancy and I'm pretty sure it isn't much more than a toy. However, the Chesapeake Bay is our front yard and I am a kid at heart too. Is this detector strong enough to search the shoreline/beach for little treasures? This is a hobby that I always was interested in myself but never pursued, so this is a tease having a detector in my hands! Is this a real detector or just a toy? Will it actually locate coins or other metals on the sand? I appreciate any feedback. I'd love to get him interested in something outside for these cooler weather days and this is a very intriguing hobby. One thing I noted is that the sound is always humming. Is this the way they work?
 
Have seen a few of them and would assume it will work......BUT...... From what I hear the depth is very limited and the discriminator is not to great. Will dig more iron and junk than with a better detector. I have never used one but I guess the best way to put it is I have never seen anyone use one if they were serious about the hobby. There are some descent detectors out there for around the $200 dollar mark, give or take a few. If you call one of our sponsors they can really give you some great advice on best bang for your buck. Some of the prices shown on the websites can be beat by giving them a call. They often will do a package deal with some of the neccesary items to help get you started at truly great deals. Many of them make a big part of their living by selling to the members of Tnet and go out of their way to take care of us. Most of the detectors like you currently have are soon put in the closet never to be used again because the users get so frustrated with them they give up on the hobby. You are in a great area and would probably be much better off to upgrade a little. Remember any unit has a learning curve so don't get discouraged when you first start. After just a few hunts you will start figuring out how certain things sound. A good set of headphones are a must. Hope I helped more than confused. Best of luck.:thumbsup:
 
Thank you for your response and advice. Actually, I dug it out of the closet when I came across it looking from something else and began messing around with it in the yard. Your comment on the frustration resulting in turning off on the hobby is what I don't want to do. I will check out some of the detectors you mention and see what I can do. I have pulled a few goodies off the beach that wash ashore but I am sure there are some "buried treasures" there as well. People drop rings, money, etc. all the time and it's the fun of the hunt that I want him to feel. Thanks again!!
 
Hey Jan, my first detector was a Radio Shack brand back in the early 80's. I used it for about a year before my mom bought me a Whites brand. I did find some stuff with it and some silver coins, but the better the detector the better the finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom