What's new

QUESTION ABOUT HUNTING IN FARM FIELDS

OldJerseyGirl

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2013
Messages
585
Reaction score
901
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I can get permission to hunt in some fields at some old farms near me. I want to know where is the best place to find something. Or is there a place better then others? I mean, close to the house or barn. Is this best? Or is it just doing the whole field row by row? Fall is coming and this is a good time to ask after they harrow them up for the winter, I think.

Happy Hunting
 
I have not hunted farm fields, however, hunting around the house is a very good idea. Concentrate on the front yard, especially along the path from the door/porch to the street (people often drop things getting out of their vehicles/carriages). The backyard is good, too. If it is an older homestead, look for a "dump" area. You can find lots of interesting things there. Some folks also excavate the old privy sites. Hunt under where the clothesline used to hang as things spill out of pockets.

Around the barn you will find tools, horseshoes, nails, etc. which are also interesting finds.

I'm sure someone else on TNet can help you with where to hunt in the fields.

Good luck and post some of the things you find!

HH,
Anita
 
Your best bet is do what I do and ask the really old timers around the area, I have hunted many ordinary looking fields that once held a old house or three, alot of old one room school houses are in them empty fields, research is your best friend.
keep your eyes wide open for arrowheads too.
Also as a added bonus, buy yourself a rare earth magnet, happen to come across any out of place looking dark black or rusty brown looking rocks, see if it sticks to the magnet, very well may get exceptionally lucky and find a meteorite!
Happy Hunting

Mike
 
Look for oddities in the field. Like areas where there are stones, bricks, chunks of concrete (that might have been a water tank), and shells and rocks that might have been the road (driveway) to a house.

Back in the day, most farmers lived on the land they worked and left signs behind.
 
OldJerseyGirl,

You've been given good advice and I think it boils down to:

Asking and getting permission

Research;
Talk with old timers about "what used to be" in the fields you have permission to detect
Old maps of the fields, as old as you can find them, as they could show the location of homes, barns, etc.
{the USGS has historic maps online that you can download for free, check them out they may have some for your area}

Walking the fields looking for bricks, stones, pieces of china dishes, etc. I would go from corner to corner and then do both diagonals to look for hints of what may have been there. Of course be swinging your detector on these walks as that way your eyes will also go underground!

Best of success with your adventure's....................63bkpkr
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom