What's new

Question about iron graphitization

Keith S

Greenie
Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Messages
14
Reaction score
56
Golden Thread
0
Location
Berkeley Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. I recently found a CS 12 pdr common shell in a freshwater creek that I believe is slightly acidic with tannic acid as the water is reddish. The shell had a very thick crust and is unusually light. I did 24 hours of low amperage electrolysis and took it out of the bath. There is not a lot of pitting and the ball is relatively smooth but the iron is quite soft which I assume means there is a fair amount of graphitization.

So, my questions are, after a hot wax bath to remove all the moisture:

1. Will a graphitized shell stabilize?
2. Should I run it in electrolysis longer to ensure the acid is no longer present?

Hoping to hear from The Cannonball Guy :)

Thanks in advance,
Keith
 
Hi all. I recently found a CS 12 pdr common shell in a freshwater creek that I believe is slightly acidic with tannic acid as the water is reddish. The shell had a very thick crust and is unusually light. I did 24 hours of low amperage electrolysis and took it out of the bath. There is not a lot of pitting and the ball is relatively smooth but the iron is quite soft which I assume means there is a fair amount of graphitization.

So, my questions are, after a hot wax bath to remove all the moisture:

1. Will a graphitized shell stabilize?
2. Should I run it in electrolysis longer to ensure the acid is no longer present?

Hoping to hear from The Cannonball Guy :)

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Good ? 'IMO' .

The Cannon Ball Guy's 'Logo' is out on the Clouds & the Call is out on social media.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom