Question About Making An Artificial Crevice In A Clay Bottom Stream

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm doing some panning in a stream in Central Illinois and having a small amount of luck. The stream bed is mostly glacial sand and gravel but there is the occasional strip of bare solid clay.

I am thinking about using a spade to dig several artificial crevices/trenches in the clay that would run across the stream. Do you think this might capture some gold and if so, what are your recommendations for the depth, width, and angle of the trench sides (straight or tapered sides).

I've never read about anyone doing this and am looking forward to your opinions. Thank you.

Upvote 0

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Passive gold traps don't work for the same reason mad Marshall explains. If you were going to put a trap in a creek you would need to know if there was a deposit upstream affecting gold deposition in that area....if you have that knowledge and don't take advantage of it maybe you shouldn't be prospecting. Hoping that gold is just going to end up in a spot every season pretty hopeful.

I don't really know to much but I know I have gone to the same creek for 3 years now. It will replenish the area everytime the water rises. The same bench I worked 3 years ago. Going back today in fact. I wish I had some amazing suggestions on how to make a passive trap. Maybe a large circular cut to make the water vortex around. That has been a good indicator for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread