Question about old out houses...

bl6902

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the remains of an old cabin. Not sure of its age but it had a mix of wire and square nails. I suspect it is from the very early 1900s, possibly a little older. It was only a few notched logs but I poked around and found remnants of hole in top cans. So, my question... I found no evidence of an out house and I was wondering. With some of these isolated cabins, were out houses common? It would take more work to dig a hole and build a structure than just digging a trench behind a tree. Also with the remoteness, would it be worth the effort to cut trees or haul in milled lumber. I see the need during the snows of winter but in the warmer months why bother?

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the site marked on any old maps? Maybe it was just a seasonal hunting/trapping cabin or maybe the outhouse was farther from the cabin. Structures could be thrown together very quickly

nleet22

Jan 5, 2014
lancaster pa
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250, AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar like cabin with square nails and a whole lot of what I would call big whiskey bottles all over in the ground...never heard of any moonshining or anything going on in these parts...the bottles are big and brown or green with the little handle or whatever ud call it that ud put ur finger threw to hold it...I found a few Wheaties laying around on top of the ground but didn't get to hunt the site because it was getting dark and it was still a nice hike out of the woods. going back in the spring hope to find some goodies and maybe a whole bottle.

OP
OP
B

bl6902

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cabin is not on modern maps, I later found it on a 1909 topo map. Not sure if it was a hunters cabin, there are other cabins relatively close that were occupied at the turn of the century. There is little surface expression due to the pine needles and such, lots of fallen and rotten trees. The walls remaining are only a log or two high, some roofing tin, nails and a couple of old cans. I would suspect if there was an outhouse it would be downhill, but that would be towards the water. Would the outhouse then be down the hill and also down stream? When the snow melts I plan to hike up there and scout around closer. Come on Summer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread