Question for the divers.....

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
Once you get a good hitwhile at depth........what are your methods of extraction?
Freshwater?
Saltwater?
Do you dig?
Do you "brush" or "wave" away the sand?

What is best?

Also..... once you extract your "hit"....what do you do with it?
Do you place everything into the same bag.....whether it be trash or a keeper?
Or do you seperate keep and non-keeps at depth?

New to the hobby and just curious.

Upvote 0

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
I use 2 bags. One for keepers and one for trash (bigger bag/walmart plastic). (With no visibility I put everything in one bag then sort it at the surface.)
I dive fresh water the most. Alot of silt. When I dig its very very very slow. Then some fanning Depending on how well the vis is to begin with, most of the time its all feel. So it really doesnt matter. If I get 10ft of vis thats great.

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found I mainly use fanning, until it either looks like the treasure is kind of deep in which I dig or I am fanning the item from my hole then I use a hand scoop for what I am having a hard time locating.

The bc I use has two big pockets, I haven't found a better stash bag yet.

OP
OP
RCMoonPie

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
That sounds good.
I have a SeaQuest "Black Diamond" BC. The left front pocket is a large "drop down" type that I could use for any keepers.
I have a smaller mesh "laundry" type bag that I could place the garbage in I guess.

I think I will go with the fanning method as well. I do have a small hand spade that is used for gardening that I could take with me in the event I have a deeper target I guess. It is small enough to velcro to my BC some place.

I appreciate all your input on this matter....being new to this it helps to have some of the "kinks" worked out before I hit the water.
Tanks empty faster when you are unprepared! :P

SWR---I made a post to you on another message board in regard to the type of MD I am looking at.
I appreciate your input!

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I am at, you can rent tanks full of air for $8 a day each... Helps out in a pinch, until you can buy a few...

I own one tank right now but just recently put out:
  • $300 for a BC
  • $200 for reg
  • $150 for two tanks - including hydo but one tank failed
  • $300 for NAUI Cert
  • $450 for MD
  • $200 for miscellaneous stuff to tie everything together

Man, that hurt figuring that out. It's the first time I looked at it put together, it doesn't seem like that much when you're buying one piece at a time.

I can't complain too much about the tanks, the guy threw in a 48" speargun too so I still made out, just would have been that much sweeter of a deal if the other tank would have passed hydro.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Zeagle equip.

the BC has 2 large pockets for separating items (never carry more than you have to under water!)

I fan the target area when the signal is strong indicating shallow, and dig with a hand trowel for deeper targets...

I hunt mainly fresh water, so visibility is always limited due to sediment/silt...

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread