Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very familiar with about every reason good people believe we should not own firearms. Present family members included. I get it. And if any of you are interested in the real gun facts, they are available. There are plenty of good reasons for both sides of the gun issue. Except one:

As a gun owner, target shooter, former hunter and trained concealed weapon carry licensee, pleas tell me:
Why I shouldn't own a gun?

Would taking my gun make my home and family safer? Would I feel safer not carrying a lawful weapon as the law allows?

Though I don't target shoot as much as I want to, the money I spend in local sporting goods stores adds up pretty quick. Maybe $0.25-0.50/each for most ammo I buy. So a box of 50 @ $0.46/per round is a hefty sum for most people. But it is a hobby and we enjoy it.

Firing ranges are safe places to shoot but many just can't afford the liability insurance.
Outdoor ranges are fun in good weather but hard to find anymore.
Hunting restrictions are also affecting that hobby. Hunters provide a lot of revenue to States that allow it. Big game states like Colorado bring hunters in from around the world. Maybe $1,000 just to get here, licensed and then car rental, hotels and food, guides etc. Where do you draw the line on Hunters? My Pine Grouse guns are .22 caliber. Can't even go after big game without adequate firepower. The most popular long guns are built on military designs. Because they work. Just because a long gun "looks like" it could be fully automatic, they aren't. There is no need.

The one-shot-one-kill big game hunter doesn't acquire that skill overnight. Lots of practice. Lots of ammo and other gear required to get up a good hunt. Big game ammo is very expensive. So a common round is the .30 caliber. Which happens to be the most manufactured round in the world. It's the standard NATO ammo. 7.62mm if I have that right. So military amm = cheaper ammo
Military style weapons = reliable, accurate and easily maintained

We have been down the ten round capacity before. Bradey's law I believe. Think that made a dent in crime or murders?

Finally the best equipped weapon owners are gang bangers and drug groups. Mexico gets their high power stuff from the S-America military. Maybe a few special personal guns smuggled from the US but the heavy firepower is international. They outgun the Mexican authorities.

Just because you don't like the idea of extended magazine capacity doesn't mean we don't need it. If you are afraid of your own, opr families or ex-spouses and boyfriends, buy a self protection gun. Learn how to use it. :)
BB

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that if you are afraid of your own family, or ex spouses, or boyfriends, you have a lot more problems than a self protection gun is going to cover. Do you think you should be able to keep a fully loaded, semi auto rifle in your glove box for those times you might meet said people on the streets? What happens when the adrenaline starts pumping and the lead starts flying? Do you become responsible for anyone that might be hit or do we chalk that up to your need for protection?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line 2nd amendment doesn't say " except for, excluding, other than, limited to" or any other exclusion pharse.

It says " the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Pretty darn clear to me.......

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Bottom line 2nd amendment doesn't say " except for, excluding, other than, limited to" or any other exclusion pharse.

It says " the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Pretty darn clear to me.......

Yet there are plenty of exclusions. You yourself have often mentioned the exclusion of felons and people accused of domestic violence.

The purpose of the bill of rights is not to list exclusions - first amendment does not go through a long list of - except yelling fire at the movie theater, sporting events, Rolling Stones concerts, etc, etc. That's just not how it works, right? It's up to the body of constitutional law to figure out the exclusions. Even the NRA knows that laws limiting gun ownership are completely legal and constitutional.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yet there are plenty of exclusions. You yourself have often mentioned the exclusion of felons and people accused of domestic violence.

The purpose of the bill of rights is not to list exclusions - first amendment does not go through a long list of - except yelling fire at the movie theater, sporting events, Rolling Stones concerts, etc, etc. That's just not how it works, right? It's up to the body of constitutional law to figure out the exclusions. Even the NRA knows that laws limiting gun ownership are completely legal and constitutional.

AGREE!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No one saying its good or bad to put on more or less restrictions - but it is absolutely completely undeniably constitutional to be able to do so.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men"
Abraham Lincoln

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that if you are afraid of your own family, or ex spouses, or boyfriends, you have a lot more problems than a self protection gun is going to cover. Do you think you should be able to keep a fully loaded, semi auto rifle in your glove box for those times you might meet said people on the streets? What happens when the adrenaline starts pumping and the lead starts flying? Do you become responsible for anyone that might be hit or do we chalk that up to your need for protection?

Unfortunately we can't ask the opinions of murdered spouses or boyfriends about that. They are dead. And all too often some children with them. There are plenty stories of husbands threatening to kill their wives and finally do. Protection orders don't mean squat. What options does a woman have:
(1) Call the cops.. "He's at my door" Cops do not serve to protect anyone. They investigate after the fact.
(2) Hire a body guard or have a friend with you. Just read the papers about additional victims. Risky for everyone there.
(3) Relocate. Easy to say but hard to do.
(4) Add alarms and extra strong locks. Could work but sooner or later they have to leave the house. Work is also not safe.
(5) As the cops advise: Wait until he hits or beats you, then we can arrest him. They always say that. Domestic disturbance calls are always dangerous. And the cops try to avoid them.

IMHO every women that files a restraining order should be advised of their constitutional right to defend themselves. Forgo the buyer restrictions and get her a gun. A shotgun would work too. Don't be a victim.
BB

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last thing most men ever want to see is a shotgun in the hands of a scared woman pointed at their crotch....

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow dave shows how much you know about a rifle (In your glove box just what the he!! you driving) There's plenty info on the net to show you how long a aka is:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine the size of the vehicle to have a glove box big enough to hold an AR-15. LOL, maybe the jolly green giants car..

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in the 80's when I supplied the custom van industry with interiors i had a request from a women who owned a strip club. She said she need protection when having large amount of cash to take to the bank We had to design a compartment readily available to a hand gun This compartment had to be made so even a cop could not find it. can't tell you were it was (She had to pay big for that) But it worked. (Before conceal and carry)

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Does your concealed weapons permit allow you to carry an AR-15 with 30 round magazine?
Do you hunt with a AR-15 with 30 round magazine?

Nobody's after ALL your guns Bob ok.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We should not be after any guns..........

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nobody is planning on taking our guns. Surely there are real problems you could be worried about.

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does your concealed weapons permit allow you to carry an AR-15 with 30 round magazine?
Do you hunt with a AR-15 with 30 round magazine? Nobody's after ALL your guns Bob ok.

Indeed, if there is anyone in the USA suggesting that hand guns and rifles be taken away from citizens, I've not heard about it and nobody would pay any attention to that person. The hope is that long-distance weapons are better regulated so that it is harder for mentally ill people to get them, and that it takes longer to reload between loading. It is also hoped that gun sales that occur without background checks and without the buyer attending a 'gun safety' course become regulated.

I cannot imagine what this has to do with hunting treasure.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nobody is planning on taking our guns. Surely there are real problems you could be worried about.
Maybe obama and the rest of his liberal friends should worry about the budget, debt and the economy......
images

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Indeed, if there is anyone in the USA suggesting that hand guns and rifles be taken away from citizens, I've not heard about it and nobody would pay any attention to that person. The hope is that long-distance weapons are better regulated so that it is harder for mentally ill people to get them, and that it takes longer to reload between loading. It is also hoped that gun sales that occur without background checks and without the buyer attending a 'gun safety' course become regulated.

I cannot imagine what this has to do with hunting treasure.
Might I remind you that you are in the Second Amendment Watchdog forum......simply amazing! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions