mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a Trade Dollar and according to the red book it is surpose to weigh 27.22 grams this coin has some wear on it and it is weighing 26.92 my question now do you think you think this is a real Trade Dollar or a fake one. Should I sent it back to him or keep it. because he told me if it is not real I could get my money back. Thanks for your input. Matt

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a Trade Dollar and according to the red book it is surpose to weigh 27.22 grams this coin has some wear on it and it is weighing 26.92 my question now do you think you think this is a real Trade Dollar or a fake one. Should I sent it back to him or keep it. because he told me if it is not real I could get my money back. Thanks for your input. Matt
There are some great people here with incredible knowledge and are always willing to help. You may want to add a few photos to help aid what they a helping with and some measurements, thickness etc.
Good luck

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0222.JPG DSC_0222.JPG front

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0223.JPG back

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing much really stands out screaming fake (counterfeit) as the details and images seem to be crisp and end abruptly into the fields. However, the amount of wear on Miss Liberty and the Eagle don't seem to jive with the lesser wear on the lettering on the coin, especially "LIBERTY", "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM". I would recommend doing a ring test with a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar or Franklin Half Dollar, then do a ring test on the Trade Dollar and compare the sounds of the ring. Without testing for Silver content, the ring test is about the best way you can tell whether it is 90% Silver or not.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks genuine enough. Being a common date/MM, I doubt anyone would counterfeit one of them.......and then add the wear and rim damage. Do the magnet and ring test, or, even an acid test of you like. It won't hurt the value any. The weight sounds like it's in line with the amount of wear.

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the help guys so now I got another coin for my type set