What's new

question on commemorative halfs

rdb7

Full Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
would you find all commemorative halfs by side checking your rolls? ie: are all commem's silver?

thanks!
 
Upvote 0
rdb7 said:
would you find all commemorative halfs by side checking your rolls?
No, I have found a few and only because I take a quick glance at the front or back. One was a proof-clad-statue of liberty half.

First I edge check the roll then quickly look at what ever side is showing.
 
The edges are a bit sharper if they are in good condition. Just as a proof coin might look. Some are silver some are not. Thy usually stand out. They may appear thicker and have sharper edge.

Mojo
 
thanks dan and coin!

i sometimes see very clean edges.. but they usually appear thinner and end up being 1994-1997d series

i have yet to find a proof .. comm.. or pre 65

only searched about $1300 so far and have 9 40%rs to show for it

picking up $800 more i found at a bank today.. fingers crossed lol
 
The Redbook (coin book) has 58 pages of commemoratives. They were made of silver, gold and clad. I have searched over 260,000 halves and have found one clad comm, pictured below.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_16.webp
    ScreenHunter_16.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 345
i need to buy a redbook... hopefully borders / barnes and nobles have it
 
SilverFox --- great end of the roll picture - my only clad half came from the end of the roll too (1992 columbus).

Brian
 
kestrelia said:
SilverFox --- great end of the roll picture - my only clad half came from the end of the roll too (1992 columbus).

Brian
That was wehn I first started. I was stoked. I hope to find a silver one sometime.
 
rdb7 said:
would you find all commemorative halfs by side checking your rolls? ie: are all commem's silver?

thanks!

It depends. Any commemorative half minted in 1982 or earlier is 90% silver so an edge check will find those. Those minted after are clad. So you need to look for the sharper, thicker edges. Those edges seem to yield the proofs and commemoratives.

HH
65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom