Question on foreign coin finds

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my dump bank is so touchy about foreign coins I now pull them an replace them with the appropriate currency.

My question is, Once we accumulate a certain level of foreign currency coins 10 or 20 dollars worth can we send these into the Department of Treasury to be added to foriegn currency holdings of the government and instead of asking for a currency exchange ask for a tax credit??

I dont know but it was something that crossed my mind while driving today.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You can send them to me as I am a foreign collector. :laughing7: Seriously, you can send them to Samson Coin Exchange in Philly.

http://www.sansomcoinexchange.com/

I am really a foreign collector and could also potentially buy some from you if you would want to sell some to me.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I just keep them in my collection, maybe if I get enough combined I will someday cash in but I dont see that being needed. Better than giving it to the bank for them to toss it.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I do not like getting foreign coins unless they are worth equal or more than what I paid. I hate British 5 Pences. I had a bunch and gave it to a guy going to Scotland to visit his girlfriend. Take them back where they belong.

I don't even know how that guy on that Samson website can exchange foreign coins for U.S. unless they were worth something. Doubt his would take British 5 pences for the exchange rate that bills get. He'd probably give you 1 cent per 5 pences is my guess.

There is no place here that will let you cash in foreign coins for even near the exchange rate as bills do from what I heard. If anyone has good suggestions, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
Xiao en

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have been more specific and directed it more twards Canadian currency as that is mostly what I find. Nickles and dimes alone dont amount to much but with no more boxes that have been sorted on my part there is a pile starting to form.

@ Sagittarius, like most I find the foreign coins unique also but if you want to buy canadian clad I am all ears on offers :laughing9:

Perhaps a craigslist add looking for a traveler and selling them at a bit of a reduced price just to recover cash.

Anyone have any other ideas on recovering cash for Canadian coinage?

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I pull all mine too bmy banks coin counter rejects them.
If you really dont want them, I'd just use a few per roll...and buy gas with rolled coins for a while.
Lord knows they don't care haha
hh!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Xiao en said:

If it is pre-2000 dimes or qtrs or pre-1982 nickels, sell it for melt as Ni bullion.
If it is pre-1997 cents, sell it for melt as Cu bullion.

Or, trade it with a Canadian CRH'er for US coinage FACE for FACE both sides pay their own shipping.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Xiao en said:
I guess I should have been more specific and directed it more twards Canadian currency as that is mostly what I find. Nickles and dimes alone dont amount to much but with no more boxes that have been sorted on my part there is a pile starting to form.

@ Sagittarius, like most I find the foreign coins unique also but if you want to buy canadian clad I am all ears on offers :laughing9:

Perhaps a craigslist add looking for a traveler and selling them at a bit of a reduced price just to recover cash.

I do go to Canada sometimes, so if I will go to Canada next time, I may PM you about a purchase.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I'd much rather find a nice foreign coin than another clad US coin. I don't really mind the small sized 5p, I've always liked the size and thickness, though I don't particularly collect post-decimal British coins (pre-decimal series are much more interesting) I did manage to snipe a silver proof set of both the small sized 5p and large sized 5p (about the size of a US quarter, same size as a pre-decimal shilling).

As for Canadian coins, I'd either just dump them in a sorter if they were non-magnetic, sell the nickel/copper ones for bullion (can be legally melted here in the US) and for the steel ones I'd just accumulate them for a while then probably sell to a currency exchange.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About two years ago I bought a Euro collection from a college student, helping more than wanting them. I did not realize I would have problems getting rid of them.

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
I have heard of people saving them up and contacting a canadian coin dealer. And placing an order with them using the canadian dimes you found.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I don't mind getting Canadian money. Since Canadian dollar and U.S. dollar are at parity. It really doesn't matter. The Canadians I have saved will be spent one day if I ever visit Canada. I do have an aunt in Toronto, Canada but I don't talk to her.

I actually really like getting pre-1997 Canadian copper cents. Those can be sold for higher premium on the U.S. market. People that live close to the border with Canadian should take advantage of it.

I just don't like getting worthless coins or ones that are lower on the exchange level.. aka British 5 Pences or Mexican coins.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
I have tons of Panamanian 10 centavos and Swiss 1/2 francs getting tired of finding them

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
santafeboy said:
I have tons of Panamanian 10 centavos and Swiss 1/2 francs getting tired of finding them

Just dump the Panamanian 10 cents, they are struck on the same blanks as US dimes (at the US mint!) and the Panama dollar trades with the US dollar at par...

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's a canadian nickel, dime, or quarter, I use them in the city parking meters. If it's a canadian penny, I use them at gas stations. :p

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all foreign coins I find while CRH, I usually end up with 2 small bags full, snack bags.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
santafeboy said:

Some 10 centavos and 1/2 francs are silver

10 centavos

1904 to 1962 - 90% silver

1/2 franc

1850 to 1851 - 90% silver
1875 to 1967 - 83.5% silver

Also, a 1/2 franc is worth more than a dime (54 cents). You can exchange them by sending them to these people:

http://www.sansomcoinexchange.com/buy_chart.pdf

You can then earn a quarter per 1/2 franc. The clad 10 centesimos can be put in a machine as Generic_Lad said.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Xiao en said:

As has been mentioned already, save the 99.9% nickel nickels. I got excited last night, as I found enough to compile my first 99.9% Canadian nickel roll. These can be sold on Ebay easily enough, for several times face value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread