question on ground balancing the deus

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK . I'm still with old version. Have not updated to version 4. What I want to know concerns the ground balance. I have been using tracking as the soil in some places tracks below the preset of 90. It will drop as low as 78. My question is this: is there a Minimum ground balance I shouldn't allow the deus to get to even if the soil registers low? In other words ,if the GB registers at , say, 65(which it never has) should I allow tracking to go down to 65 or should I set it a a minimum above 65 ? Also, side question, do I really need the version 4?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Tracking all the time now as most places I go to do similar to what you have described.... hence Tracking helps as it changes as the ground does. I would stick to that in the areas that have varied soil. If you are in an area that is pretty steady and want to set it and forget it... 90 is a pretty good spot for that. Don't believe there is a Min GB recommendation.

As for V4, I would go for it. Has some new features you might be interested in. Is a MUST if you want the new M6 pinpointer and a MUST if you want one of the new HF coils.
The update is painless but you will have to re-do all your custom slots over again... not a big deal to most.
Good luck to ya, hope I was able to help and hope you enjoy V4 if/when you upgrade.

:occasion14: Stretch

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the GB tracking algorithm is improved in version 4. More stable, does not over respond to hot rocks or mineralized patches of ground.

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, the GB tracking algorithm is improved in version 4. More stable, does not over respond to hot rocks or mineralized patches of ground.

Yeah that annoyed me in 3.2, in tracking all of the sudden the detector started falsing like crazy, reason was tracking over a patch of minerals dropped the GB 15 or 20 points lower than the actual GB reading.

So for the OP, yes, if your GB is too low than actual GB reading the detector will false on minerals and even plain rocks (not hot) in the soil. Ideally a point or 2 lower than actual GB reading is where you want to be and tracking in V4.0 does this where in 3.2 it did not, I would upgrade for this reason alone.....but there are many other reasons to upgrade as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread