What's new

Question on panning for gold (Not the best question, but still curious...)

THR214

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k, I have a question that more than likely I already know the answer, but I need confirmation from people who really are knowledgable in the area.
First, I live in Central New Jersey, I know from the research that I have read, they all say that there is really no gold in the ground in NJ, but hey...ya never know unless you try. I have an underground stream that runs under my house somewhere, which explains the water in my basement when it rains heavy as well as every other house in my line of site..lol. I do not have city water, we have well water. In my system when I clean the filter out every few months I have black sand that gets sucked in. Watching all the TV shows, black sand means gold. Now, down to the main question, is it worth my time to dig some holes and try to pan some dirt here? Or am I just having visions of gold in my dreams? ....lolol I really need an answer to clear my head before the ground thaws out and my property becomes swiss cheese with holes..lol
 
Black sand does not mean gold......black sand is sometimes associated with gold where gold exists....black sand is magnatite and hematite which are both fairly heavy,so gold being the heaviest thing in the stream,where the black sand settles is where the gold is as well.That being said,I know of lots of spots there is loads of B.S. and no gold and vice-a-versa......never hurts to try a pan or two.....I have gold in my yard :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks for that info, The only way to find out is to try it. Considering this will be my first time doing anything like this, even if..and when..lol I strike out, it will still be fun. Thanks again!
 
Thanks for that info, The only way to find out is to try it. Considering this will be my first time doing anything like this, even if..and when..lol I strike out, it will still be fun. Thanks again!

View a few video on how to pan and give it a try!
I love to pan! I'm in my own little world when I'm in a stream. Don't rush your test pans, take your time... But, you don't have to go as slow as I do!! LOL!!

Testing a creek in North Georgia... I didn't know I was on video...

 
You would better off if you would drop down to gold prospecting on Tnet here... And then click on panning for Gold...... You should get more answers there....
 
You would better off if you would drop down to gold prospecting on Tnet here... And then click on panning for Gold...... You should get more answers there....

Keppy...what more can a guy tell him?LOL!!
 
Hey by doing it slow, I bet you don't miss anthing! That's not a bad thing! very cool video, Thanks!
 
Hey by doing it slow, I bet you don't miss anthing! That's not a bad thing! very cool video, Thanks!

The creek I was checking ran for about a 1/4 mile along an old mining site. I knew the creek had gold. I was wanting to see if I could find the part that had the most gold. All gold that was found was "flour gold" and that calls for a slow test pan.

Several other gold forums on the net, not just TN, so look them over.

The best tip would be to research old gold sites near where you live on the net or ask about gold deposits in near by states.

Best to ya!
-Wayne
 
I dont know what all more these guys are expecting you to find on the Net,but yea,I guess look around.The main thing is learn how to pan,everything in mining comes back to a pan,and unless you can pan you arent much of a miner.As I said take some samples in your yard,whats it hurt?Take some lead fishing weights....leave em round,a lot of people say smash em.....dont,a flat piece stays in the pan much better...go with the round...challenge yourself.....throw three or four in the pan with some dirt/sand,if ya have all of em when your done,your doing good,now work on pannng ALL the dirt/sand out and keeping the balls,when you get good at that,give me a holler,and I will send you some black sand ....you just pay the shipping.Put your lead in there,and when you can pan that and keep em.....you can say,"I am a panner"
 
THR214...

This is some of the gold I panned from that creek...

gp3a.webp

Oh.. just got through walking around NJ... didn't find any gold. You can find it in PA and north of your location in the "northeast four states).
 
Last edited:
You could probably get black sand in about any creek you pan. That's just an indication you're technique is right for keeping heavy stuff in the pan.
Panning is a lot of fun. Especially on a nice sunny summer's day with a few brewskies. Ohio's not know for gold, but you can find a few very small flakes if you get in the right creek. I'm sure there's a place in NJ that's the same.

-Swartzie
 
Thats what I was thinking, warm weather, cool breeze, cold brew's... it has to be fun..win or lose. At the least, I satisfy the curiosity and I get some needed experience for when I go somewhere that is hopefull. Either way, I'll post on here whatever it is I find just so other Central N.J newbie's coming in will know as well, but sometimes, like myself, you just have to do it yourself to find out for sure. In the end, it's nothing but time and there's plenty of it to go around!.
 
That's a nice looking pan! I can only wish for that living out here in N.J. I do plan on traveling around but first I have to master the pan. I found alot of good tips and tricks out here, it's time to pratice an perfect how to do it.
Hey Kuger, thank you for that info and the offer for the black sand, it is appreciated and when i'm ready I will take you up on the offer!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom