What's new

Question on pin pointers from an newbie?

Intex Systems Corp This is the manufacture and they say it is soil piercing and designed as such. I can understand your reasoning frankn because of your disability and the need for your blue light special mod HF unit. The probe end of the two units discussed are definitely designed for soil penetration and it as long as it is somewhat loose and not hard packed. The HF unit that you use will not stand that type of use so it is better to use it as touch and feel method as you do but there is nothing wrong with someone else doing an easy probe around in the soil to find their prize with a purchase of their own choice.
 
.

cb.webp
 
"Well-Done" Excellent "Advice"

Dear INFO WARRIOR,

Thank you for Pointing out the "Importance" of using a Pin pointer probe for Detecting! I know how frustrating it is when I use my ACE250, with GEB Modifications, locating targets with "Accuracy" in Holes dug!

I have total faith in the GARRETT Carrot, and was intending to buy one, However as I am in the process of building my own Design, will leave that on "Hold" for now!

During: 1985-1988. I built my own Non-Motion GEB Detector from "Scratch" and wish I kept it! as it "Out-performed" all the Detectors bought till, I purchased the GARRETT ACE250. (Excellent machine!) Well built in the USA to "High" standards and "Easily" GEB "Modified" to UK "Soils".

With regards "Pin-Pointing" probes, I built one back then "Before" they were even "Manufactured" (I sent my Schematic to: Whites Detectors and then noticed they were in production!) My "Original" probe was Very good, but lacked the "Refinements" required! (I, then "Improved" the Design as Att. Circuits for your perusal!)

My latest Design is "Actually" an Invention. Well "Half" of an "Original" design. The "Other" Half will basically be a "Reliable" Oscillator in Union with my: SMS Magnetic-Field-Detector. 2007. Hope you find my reply of Interest and look forward to your reply!

Lincolnshire Imp. UK.Auto-Det.webpAuto Detector 2.webpAuto-Det 3.webpAuto-Det vero.webpAuto-De breaks.webp
 
I am not a tech of any kind, totally the opposite, but good for you! Keep being inovative!
 
Looks like you put in a lot of work, Good show, but you can get a pinpointer from Harbor Freight for under $20 US. It is adjustable from contact to app 3". I have been using them for years. I admit I don't use them to often since I use a Whites XLT that pinpoints exactly and that detector is over 15 years old.
Circuits haven't changer much in that time, just more bells and whistles. Frank
Gold hand.webp
 
True, i could pin point better with my old Whites 4900 , than i can with my M6 now.
 
Yep,, there's a lot of dancing going on around here.
The Vibraphone 280 is designed to help people who have hearing impediments. It will not work on Mine lab or Fisher machines. It is attached to the shaft and has a 1/4" jack that gets plugged into your detector. The ACE 250 is a nice machine but if you're considering upgrading without breaking the bank, I would suggest the AT PRO. The PRO is like the ACE 250 & 350 on Steroids. It will increase your depth to probably 10 inches, depending on size of coil and target.
I first started swinging a coil in 1970. That doesn't make me smarter or better than anyone else. It does say that I have seen a lot of changes in recovery technology. I went from passing a fistful of dirt over the coil,, to using a hand held pinpointer. (The Garrett Carrot). I have found that the combination of using your metal detector's pinpointing capabilities to do the initial zeroing in on the target will give you it's location and approximate depth. Then your handheld quality pinpointer will find the target in the plug or hole. It takes a little practice but it will come to you.
I don't leave home without my pinpointer or fresh batteries.
Not too many people use a pinpointer in waste deep water so just focus on dirt digging and you'll have your answers to the pinpointer questions.


Wow, this post is 3 1/2 years old. The same debate rages on. lol
 
Last edited:
Thank You!

Dear "Fellow" detectorist!

Thank you for your reply, very informative and Interesting! I do intend Buying the "GARRETT Carrot" I imagine this will be far superior to my intended Design, however I am still going to make my NEW design as the, RX circuit was discovered by accident and only uses: 100uA. Current from a PP3 battery, the TX circuit was going to be "Crystal" controlled, but will be a derivative of the RX circuit, in Unison using: 200uA. in total. (This equates to 2,000Hrs. Use, or Battery life!)

You "Stated" you have been Detecting since: 1970`s. Did you use a BFO detector like my earliest "Experiments" (Very outdated now, but "Brilliant" fun back in the early 80`s) Boy! have things got better "Ish" since. I still feel Detectors have not really progressed over the Years! I imagine the very expensive models are "Fantastic" however well out of my price range! (Maybe when I find something worth Money, I will invest in something superior to my ACE250)

I have only been using my machine for a couple of visits to my most productive site, and found far more targets than ever before. (With the GARRETT Carrot, I am positive my find rates will increase and be far easier to retrieve!)

Please feel free to contact me with regards detecting etc. My "standby" email address is: sms2704@yahoo.co.uk / Or via. Posts!

Kind regards & Best wishes,

Steve
 
Steve, In your location, history goes way back, so I would go for a deep detector. The PI detectors go deepest. A PI detector and a pinpointer would make a winning combination in your environment. My 15 year old Whites Surfmaster PI has gone down 4' for a boat anchor and 10+" for a diamond/gold ring. Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom