What's new

question

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
A fellow owed me some money. Paid me in cash,a check,and the last $25.00 in silver halves. He knows I CRH, it was Christmas, and being a good guy,liked the idea of paying me in silver. I liked it too.
The question is, should I include this in this years finds?

Anyway here is what I got.
39x 40%
2 x Walkers
1x 1964
8x Ben F.
 
Upvote 0
I had to change my eariler post....

That is awesome, but you didn't find them thru hunting, I say no. But on the other hand, you did get them at face value... :icon_scratch:
 
I don't think that you can count them as part of your CRH tally.
 
Hey Scuba,

I'll be in Connecticut next week. Gonna hit some of your banks up there
 
I say no to the count as well, but you can't go wrong with getting paid in silver! Especially a decent stack like that!

Nice work!

~Dave
 
This poses on interesting question. My answer would be yes or no, depending on the circumstances.

Yes, if the person paid you money that was owed to you in face value. In other words, let's say he owed you $25, and he paid you in $25 face silver coins (that were really worth $75).

No, if he owed you $75 and paid you in $25 silver face which let's say was "worth" $75. In this sense it would be as if you went to a coin store and bought the coins. I am just using these dollar figures for illustration, not saying $25 face really equals $75.

No if someone gives you a gift of free silver coins without you paying face for them.
My theory behind the "yes" is as follows:


1. A CRHer is always "on duty" searching for coins, whether he or she is searching rolls, the till on a Coinstar, or simply finding coins on the street.

2. Anytime you find silver at face value you are successful in your CRHing.

3. CRHing, or coinhunting in general means getting silver coins at face value, or finding them on the street, in a machine till, etc.
An analogous situation is if you are at your bank and the teller is about to give you back some cash and you spot silver coins in her till and ask to be paid with them and she says yes, would you count that in your search?

You were not really hunting rolls but were paid face value silver coins by someone who was about to give you money you were somehow entitled to.

This is just my personal view, and I know many will disagree. Since I don't post my total finds, my view on what counts towards totals being posted here is not really relevant.

Jim
 
i think i have to agree with Jim....if you were paid in silver at face value i would consider it a find :thumbsup:
 
I think when I post my year end tally I will not include them. I will list them seperately as bought at face value other than at a bank.
 
My two cents.....(assuming it was at face value)

If he intentionally paid you in silver, I would say don't count it.

If he paid you and just happened to mix in a silver coin or two then count it.

It sounds like this was intentional silver so I wouldn't count it in my CRH "finds".
 
If the silver was counted as face value, then I would say yes. Reason I say that is this. When you go to a bank and spy a silver in a tellers tray and she allows you to purchase it, you count it. Only thing is it was not in a roll, so technically speaking it could not count as a CRH find. Same with casino machines. Even though you are silver fishing, they are not in rolls. I know, that may be nit picking, but just MHO.

If they were not counted as face, then I would have to also say no.
 
My two cents.....(assuming it was at face value)

If he intentionally paid you in silver, I would say don't count it.

If he paid you and just happened to mix in a silver coin or two then count it.

It sounds like this was intentional silver so I wouldn't count it in my CRH "finds".
HMMM...good point Gman....this is a touch and go subject for sure
 
If you received it at face valve....it counts. If you did not get it at face value....it does not count.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom