What's new

question ?

silver1/2

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Just a question for all you pros. How do you dump large amounts of coins? I have one bank that has free coin counters in the lobby but cycling 2-3 k in halves a week in slow machines is a task. I reroll some but just want to know how those that do 10bx a week dump? Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
I was dumping large amounts for better than a year, just depositing $500 bags of halves and dimes. Sweet setup, while it lasted. ffd
 
a lot of time I will re-roll halves, it's easy and I'm pretty fast at it. But I don't go through more than a grand a week in halves. It depends on how much money you go through. When I search bags, I just dump them in machines. Dimes I also dump in the machine, they are harder to roll though.
 
Here's what I have learned, it may be different from CRH'er to CRH'er...

Unless you have a REALLY deep relationship with one bank, it will be hard to dump mass quantities of halves. Fact is, there is no profit in this for the banks, just the cost of labor/bags/machine maintenance. And as a general rule, tellers hate to deal with dump coins, change bags, go to the vault, blah blah blah...

Here are my tips on how to get through some serious volume each week...
1 - open up several savings accounts with multiple mid-to-large size banks that have multiple branches in your area. I have four accounts and access to about 10 different branches.
2 - have each branch order you $1k in halves each week.
3 - limit your pick ups and dumps to only $1k per bank, per week
4 - bring the tellers a little treat every month - fun size chocolates have produced MANY one-off silver dimes/quarters/halves for me
5 - when they ask, be honest with them and tell them you collect and are trying to fill up the folders and also looking for any type of older ones.
6 - get to know a few tellers at each location, the more they talk about themselves, the less they ask about you :-)

Spread out the work, be a decent human being, and stay engaged with the people who help you at the banks. This way, when you bring an extra bag to dump that you picked up in TinyTown, USA, they will gladly accommodate your request...
 
Do you have any nearby casinos. I have 2 near me. One charges me to dump (I won't pay to dump) but the other one lets me dump for free.
 
Excellent tips in 'chows' reply! I don't think that getting bags, boxes, rolls or loose coins is an entitlement but is a privilege that a commercial business may extend to us. Dumping is a bad part of the hobby ( almost as bad as not finding silver.) Try to spread your dumps around, some counting machines are better than others, it's all part of the game.
 
I would dump 5-6 grand at a time in halves after my road trips and my bank was nice enough to let me use their dolly or roller carts to bring in the coin to dump. I could usually be done in less than an hour. You may want to try this.

Golden Silver
 
i used 2 use machines but my bank said it wears out the machine so now i reroll haha.
 
I use seven bank branches with coin machines. I drop off 2k at 2 branches per week,sometimes more. So far I've gotten away with this for a year. I brought them in an empty pizza box once. :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom