Question ?

time machine

Dec 23, 2011
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a 1836 capped bust quarter I found M D last week in great shape with no patina at all on it. So
I took the coin for an appraisal and the guy accused me of cleaning it and basically ruining the
the value of the coin. I said to him the only cleaning this coin received was running water over it
and than he said if I didn't clean it someone did. My question is has any of the members found
a 1800's silver coin in this condition while metal detecting and had a similar experience like mine.

Thanks, Time Machine.

Attachments

• 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • 141.JPG
    141.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Absolutely, I made a comment in a post not long ago about it. A really good friend who had been MD'ing since the 60's (passed a few years back) just so happen to be in a restaurant with me a few days later and set him straight on it. He literally threatened to call the police on me in his shop. He essentially called me a liar. The coin came out, got a gentle wash off and that is how I presented it to him. Burns ya up doesn't it. ........... that is an incredible coin by the way. Congrats again. :icon_thumleft:

Really nice coin. Did you clean it? :)

Acids in the soil, and soil movement with freeze and thaw in effect sometimes do "clean" the coin depending on conditions. While the appraiser shouldn't have accused you of cleaning it, he was just judging the coin by it's surfaces.

Truly just a simple case of an ignorant person doing the appraisal. As I stated in the above it can tick ya off but nothing changes the fact that is an absolutely killer coin that you know you did not polish.

TNGUNS, your right no matter what this coin is a killer coin.

Thanks, Time Machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back