Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to look this stuff up on my own and I'm getting frustrated.:laughing7:

If I find items on private land?(or my own land) Can I sell my items? Or how do I document where they were found?

I hear all these stories, and see them in the news occasionally about collectors losing whole collections. Is this because of where they obtained their items?

Where are these lines that people are crossing? I have land, that I know has arrow heads and possibly other Items. I want to make sure I have everything covered before I go digging around and collecting. How do I prove the item came from my land?

Do different states have different laws too? Some of the places in question would be... Alabama,Georgia, and Ohio.

I don't know that I would ever sell my finds(when I find them) but I want all bases covered!Before I find and post pics of any items! Or is this really not a big deal and nothing to worry about!Sorry if these questions have been answered or are dumb!:laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts are welcome!

The one area I want to look at is in North central Alabama(avatar pic). I found a couple of broken arrow heads already. The area has small caves and a good size creek. A lot of bluffs and some flat land. Any info, welcome! It has never been plowed. So, it's a good bet there is a lot of stuff to be found.

The surrounding land that was plowed produced hundreds of items over the years. I didn't get to see them personally, but heard about it from family. So, the next time I go there I want to try to come up with a system to hunt it. Maybe even start in areas that look promising using a shovel and screen. The soil is all pretty much sand. once past the surface roots(about 3 to 5 inches depending), I can dig up to my shoulder with my hands. That's how soft some of it is. The rest is rock(sandstone).

Any ideas, of types of places to start looking? One thought was the bigger cave floors.Also, how far down is far enough, 6inches, a foot? I don't want to move 2 feet around the cave floor if I don't have to disturb that much. So, how far do most things settle? I just don't want to ruin any items or document wrong, or dig up more than I need to, to look!

Oh,some of these are more like rock overhangs or ledges, but they are in the side of the hill in a way that in a storm no water gets in and the floor stays dry on the biggest one,Even protected from the wind, I have been in it a few times to get out of the weather, not caves that go in for a long way. maybe the biggest goes in about 20 to 30 feet maybe a little further. The smaller holes go in a few feet and open up big enough for two or three people to sit. May have nothing, but it's worth a look!

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Nitric, I cant answer all of your questions, but, in general it is legal to surface collect on private land with permission in almost every state UNLESS it is a known and documented archaeological site or some type of burial or grave. Might be an exception in one or two states that Im not aware of. Some states do require a special permit to dig even on private property. Its never legal to collect in any way on state or government property. It would appear selling legally obtained artifacts is legal, many people on a few different facebook sites sell regularly, and of course Ebay.. I believe most of the recent arrests involving the sale and sometimes possession of artifacts was due to the fact they where illegally collected on state or government property, or a known archaeological site. Cant help with the cave questions, some folks on here dig, maybe they will chime in and help you out. Good luck.

Collecting Artifacts from the Surface

Last edited:

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as documenting finds, I document our finds here on our property for my own benefit. A good friend of mine is an archaeologist and he said unless I find something "amazing" there is no need for professional documentation. Most of what we find they have seen thousands of times, and you cant learn much from an out of context surface find.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link and the reply theviking! I was trying to find information and became frustrated, and thought I'd ask on here! I've looked for arrowheads since a kid. I would walk the freshly plowed fields.Never found a whole lot. I've been thinking lately.....Now that I'm older? I have access to a lot of different land. Maybe, I'll start really looking again.

There is just something about holding something that old in your hand! Thinking of the people or the lifestyle they lived! It's really cool when you really think about it. Someone made it, and used it for survival. They didn't have the things we have today and were probably happier people! Makes you wonder!

Nothing super, as far as condition. I have the broken piece somewhere. I was looking out over everything from the top of a hill thinking of my brother and how he would have loved to have seen the land. and when I was ready to leave I looked down and there was an arrow head. It was just coincidence, but still sent chills down my spine! Also, made me feel better too! lol

arrow head 025.JPG

Last edited:

Thomas Beck

Dec 4, 2023
Hey Nitric, I cant answer all of your questions, but, in general it is legal to surface collect on private land with permission in almost every state UNLESS it is a known and documented archaeological site or some type of burial or grave. Might be an exception in one or two states that Im not aware of. Some states do require a special permit to dig even on private property. Its never legal to collect in any way on state or government property. It would appear selling legally obtained artifacts is legal, many people on a few different facebook sites sell regularly, and of course Ebay.. I believe most of the recent arrests involving the sale and sometimes possession of artifacts was due to the fact they where illegally collected on state or government property, or a known archaeological site. Cant help with the cave questions, some folks on here dig, maybe they will chime in and help you out. Good luck.

Collecting Artifacts from the Surface
I am looking for places in Georgia open to the public for searching/digging for arrowheads....please help.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think anyone here is going to give up site information. The best thing to do is find some plowed fields near natural bodies of water; also creeks with plenty of rocks. I would recommend getting land owners permission before you look. Good luck đź‘Ť

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make friends with some farmers. Ask them to give you a heads up when they plow their fields. Hitting a plowed field after a good rain is a great strategy.

I once found a guy with a bean farm who has a shell mound on his property that was looked at by the university and declared "not a shell mound". He would let me dig around for a few hours of weeding and bean picking. Found some cool stuff, but this was probably 20 years ago now.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I am looking for places in Georgia open to the public for searching/digging for arrowheads....please help.
This person you are asking has been gone for many years. This post is from 2015.
You can google artifact collecting laws for Georgia and the DNR site will come up. Read the rules it will tell you exactly what you want to know. For instance you can’t collect in or on Parks, rivers, Corps of engineers property. I don’t go to any of those places I only surface hunt private property and do just fine. Look for a creek or a field you want to look on and find out who owns the property. It’s that easy. After you get permission go have some fun. It might take you a while to learn how to see them.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old post and all I can add is you can get in big time trouble when you start digging up burials. That's what was goin on up here in the 4 Corners area some time back and it led to a very melancholy situation for some folks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread