Questions about the Tesoro Tejon?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I always thought I would have a problem with manual groundbalancing, but gb'ing the Tejon was a piece of cake. Once I learned on the Tejon, I have alot more confidence in gb'ing other machine brands.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't believe the number of coins I found on edge missed by other detectors. Ground balancing is really easy and doesn't take long at all. You can take the Tejon out of the box and do well with it right away, but as you learn some of it's little idiosyncrasies you will keep liking it more.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I bought a Tejon for the idea of having a second detector for either hunting wood chips(dig everything) or relic hunting in the woods. It's a good detector in terms of easy of use, pinpointing, depth, etc. However the biggest complaint and the reason I am selling it is because it is very hot on iron. I am not a big fan of digging up old rusty nails.

Whenever I get a new detector the first place I take it is my coin garden. The only way I could get the detector to "hit" on the deep coins in my garden was to turn the discrimination down. So when going out in the field and I start digging up nails I am reluctant to turn up the discrimination for fear of loosing depth.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wasn't there a noticeable difference in the sound of the iron items? With my Cibola I loose a lot of depth as well if I turn up the discrimination. However, iron nails and wire have a distinct sound that says junk to my ears. What kind of depth are getting in your test garden with it set near all metal?

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Good point mirage, I have heard of people say that the Tejon does not work well in high mineralized ground and maybe thats why they think that, is due to all of the nails, etc. However, I hear others rave about the depth and that it's a relic machine. Is there another model that does well in the woods? Cibola, etc.?

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Canewrap said:
Wasn't there a noticeable difference in the sound of the iron items? With my Cibola I loose a lot of depth as well if I turn up the discrimination. However, iron nails and wire have a distinct sound that says junk to my ears. What kind of depth are getting in your test garden with it set near all metal?

Yeah, I might not have really given the machine a fair chance. Maybe I wasn't ground balancing it right also. In all fairness you could usually tell the size of the target. Any kind of larger rusty nails gave off such a strong signal that you basically knew it was going to be a larger iron thing. But then it could have been a large cent....

As for depth in the coin garden(with lower discrimination settings) - The Tejon did better than the DFX, Coinstrike, Classic III SL, and probably even better than the Quattro/Explorer. 10" silver quarter no problem. 7 " silver dime no problem. 6" IH no problem. 8" penny weak but still discernable.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
So does the Tejon give different tones or just sound levels?

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Although the manual GB feature is a harder feature to master it is no way hard to learn. Adjusting is easy but if you don't get it correct then you will have some difficulty. In higher mineralization a manual GB is better to have so you can optimize the setting. It is however not a "fine" tune adjustment. If you need more help or need help with your purchase please let me know.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have too much trouble with iron, my Tejon is better than most that I have had in this respect. For some reason mowing machine knives always give a good signal, but that has been the case with all of my detectors.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Canewrap,
Any machine you use will be the same way. If you are finding nails,
there are some areas in the country where the bullet shells will give you the same problem. the guys who dig in other places will give you the same advice, pop tops are the problem

If you don't pick them up you won't find anything. they all will give off a signal that is equal to the good stuff. if you don;t dig the trash you won't find the treasure.
Nails and pieces of wire are the problems on our placeand many spent .22 shells.
Ask around. it balances out.

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread