Hey Red-
Not the same at all- not one bit- looking in non-tidal areas. And around these parts there are ditches gridding through all the low-lying areas making them marginally livable (tho they flood every sing time we have a modest storm). The true headwaters of the major rivers around there are pretty much the same, but keep in mind that those ditches keep the water out of low-lying areas. The land and water profiles would have been different for sure 500-10,000 years ago. With that in mind, I've pretty much actively chosen not to really look hard in those headwaters areas- unless I'm looking for a dump, but that's another story.. In fact, in the years I've been looking, I have only found 1 single point in a creek. I did, however, find shark's teeth- my reason for being at the location to begin with. See, when I first started looking for points and such, I really didn't have a clue. I looked any and everywhere- from drainage ditches with any sort of sandy-rocky wash, to forest paths- and under big trees where nothing would grow and there'd be sand, dirt and gravel. I've found 1 point in a path in the woods- and that one from the creek. I'd suspect the best is still under the ground in the many, many fields around here. Just have to get permission, that's all. I guess I'd rather kayak than walk a field, given the option... HH! Yak Kent Co.
Oh- and an afterthought. It occurs to me that when the original people lived and thrived here, this was a summer place- a place with everything for the hunter/fisher/gatherer for the season. They migrated back and forth with the seasons. That's nothing new. But consider that when folks inland camped and moved about from season to season, the headwaters might be the winter place- up higher w/ more sun exposure. There would be signs of artifacts and of community. Here, I think they were coming from the western shore, so the headwaters of these E.S. rivers don't have the significance as the inland rivers- they're not high and dry, but marshy, swampy, perennially wet areas. Of course, maybe they were dry way back then... I could be way off, but I just thought of it and thought I'd risk thinking out loud. Cheers!