Questions from a novice.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We cut 3 ft sections and i wouldnt worry about the dirt unless its caked on...aa

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Aluminum is considered "dirty" if it still has nails in it!

What kind of scrap are you talking about?

Cavers5

TJ2662

Jul 3, 2007
Hello,

I'm still a novice as far as I'm concerned, but I've hauled in over 20K in scrap in the last 2 years.

Here are some tips, get to know your scrap yard. Yes Aluminum w/ nails screws is considered dirty, but if your scrap yard melts their own aluminum, they will let alot of it slide. Mine used melt their own, but now they are very strict on it. Anything that they "catch on inspection" w/ screws & nails goes as breakage which is only 15 cents/lb vs 40 cents/lb. Note that alot of aluminum items will have aluminum screws, ALWAYS use a magnet.

Another tip get a metal file (about $1.50 at Walmart). I have found alot of copper & brass items that looked like either just brass or aluminum by filing off the surface. Brass is 1.60/lb, #1 copper 3.10, #2 copper 2.90/lb

As to #1 & #2 scrap iron.... that gets a little difficult. I'm going to give a link w/ photos that should help out.

No you don't have to cut everything down to 3', but you will get paid more if you do. Where i live, I get $100-125/ton for unprepared #1 & #2 (over 3') vs $160-$180/ton for prepared #1 & #2. Always separate your scrap, if you have smaller items, go thru the scale twice, it's worth the extra time.

Anything less then 1/8" of an inch thick is TIN which goes for $50/ton. I used to throw alot of tin away, when cleaning items to get brass/copper/aluminum & stainless steel. But found it's easier to simply pile it up til I have a small load.

Also please note that prices vary greatly based on where you are located. I am in a smaller city in the upper midwest. If you live on the coasts or in a large city, you will get paid more. Call around.

Here's the link http://www.gerdauameristeel.com/company/sr/vendor.cfm good photos on the bottom of different types of scrap iron.

Any more questions?

GOOD LUCK!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread